Makita BDF451 and BHP451

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a bit of a long shot but was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two drills? They are both advertised on screwfix but look identical and have the same specs and the same price. I just want to know which one is the newest one which may have the revised gearbox.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
From Makita site

The new BHP451 18volt combi drill delivers a massive 80Nm of torque through a 3-speed all-metal gearbox and is capable of drilling 16mm in masonry and 13mm in steel. The three speed ranges are 0-300rpm, 0-600rpm and 0-1,700rpm, and in hammer mode the BHP451 can deliver 25,500blow per minute.

The BHP450 18v combi drill is a 2-speed unit capable of drilling 13mm in masonry. The new compact body style means that the machine measures just 188mm from the front of the chuck jaws to the body back – an extremely useful advantage when working in confined spaces.

The first 18volt Lithium-ion drill driver from Makita, the BDF451model, generates 80Nm of torque to drill 13mm in masonry and is a 3-speed unit weighing just 2.1 kg. The compact 2-speed version, BDF450, provides 41Nm of torque to punch a 13mm hole through steel.

Is it just that it has no hammer action? (BDF) <-edit

Sponsored Links
PS, I wouldn't recommend the BHP451

Any reason why?

It just doesnt have the power.

The most challenging thing mine has every done is put 18mm Plywood down using Spax screws, it even struggled with that. I treated it to a new battery a couple of months ago and its just the same now.

I use it at work for screwing network sockets to desks now.

I keep my Hilti 18v at home for the real tasks

The BDF451 seems to have the same 3 gears but no hammer action the BHP451 does have hammer action...

Thats what I thought I said? But edit, it wasn't clear.

PS I got that text from Makita UK site

Hmmm no power hey, do you know if this is across the board as I've only heard good rumours about this drill and also the Screwfix forum/Reviews seem to rave on about them too.

Hmmm no power hey, do you know if this is across the board as I've only heard good rumours about this drill and also the Screwfix forum/Reviews seem to rave on about them too.

Well no, to be honest it could just be mine as i've never used another.

I also have the rest of the Makita LXT gear and all the rest is a pile of cack too apart from the impact driver.

Suppose it depends what your using it for.

I know its only a small issue, but i've only had mine a year and all of the black rubber on the casing is falling off too.

I bought my BHP451 to replace a 12v Yellow black and decker, I can honestly say I prefered the dewalt :confused:

I had this same question when I was looking at the two drills. I decided on the BHP451 and absolutely love it, easily the best all round cordless drill I've ever owned. Really surprised at the other comment about it's lack or "power", on the slowest speed it's torque is incredible, actually enough to shear off a 10.5mm drill when drilling steel!

Well Li-ion bats are getting a bad rap, but I thought I'd bite the bullet and just get one as I will need to at some point when my Ni-Mh bats die. I've got quite of a lot of Makita gear and they have been solid but not ventured into Lithium yet. Its probably more to do with the bats than the drill itself?

The convenience of having charge whenever you pick up the drill is very nice and the quoted 22mins full charge seems unbelievable! :LOL:

I had this same question when I was looking at the two drills. I decided on the BHP451 and absolutely love it, easily the best all round cordless drill I've ever owned. Really surprised at the other comment about it's lack or "power", on the slowest speed it's torque is incredible, actually enough to shear off a 10.5mm drill when drilling steel!

I'm comparing it to this.

Which is simply the best drill i've ever owned.

Always had Bosch stuff myself (now junk IMHO), but recently made the change to Makita and think the quality is superb. If you're thinking of investing in the Makita 18V Li-Ion range, probably works out cheaper to buy the 6 pack set rather than buying individually. Bought most of my Makita stuff, inc my fantastic Makita compound sliding mitre saw, from www.toolchestdirect.com

Always had Bosch stuff myself (now junk IMHO), but recently made the change to Makita and think the quality is superb. If you're thinking of investing in the Makita 18V Li-Ion range, probably works out cheaper to buy the 6 pack set rather than buying individually. Bought most of my Makita stuff, inc my fantastic Makita compound sliding mitre saw, from www.toolchestdirect.com

Now my SCMS I love, I have had the LS1013 for ten years now and it still runs smooth

Would avoid any 3 speed Makita at all costs as they had massive problems with their 3 speed gearboxes. The mid-size makita machine is pretty decent & reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back