MAN-SIZE fairy lights - considerations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to prepare some lighting for an outdoor party in the summer, it will consist of 20 100w lamps all wired onto 100m of 1.5mm2 twin and earth, plugged into a domestic socket with a standard 13amp plug - basically a large string of fairy lights. I have a few questions that may just be common sense, but somebody might save me some trouble if I have got it wrong!

Firstly, is this inherently safe? According to my calcs, the 2000w loading should be well covered with 1.5mm cable (up to 3600w, right?) and 13 amp (700-3000w) plug means it is fine to run through a domestic socket. All seem ok?

Secondly, I am wiring it as a radial circuit as none of the lamps need to be switched, just turned on and off at the socket - is this suitable or should I wire this in a ring circuit to reduce loading on the cable?

Thirdly, I have a few options for the fittings - I can either use pendants or fixed batten lamp holders, and have also thought of using junction boxes to tee off the main cable to the fitting I choose. This is mainly a cost consideration, does anyone have an opinion on which would be most suitable?
My main concern is with the strain on the connections, as the string of lights will be strung 3m high from several poles and will sag between the poles - any obvious strengthening methods for each connection? I had thought of fixing the lamp holder/junction box to a scrap of wood and fixing the cable to the other side with cable clips to take any strain off the connections.

Last of all, I was wondering about weather considerations - to construct what I require with all waterproof fixings would be prohibitively expensive. I am hoping that the british climate is kind to us(foolish...) - will those fixings be safe outside in dry summer weather? I am slightly concerned about condensation forming after dark.

Last of all, if someone knows where I could source external light strings (I wonder where blackpool get their illuminations from?) for a reasonable price, please let me know - I am only doing this because I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
using interior grade cable and fittings for outdoor work is a big no-no, the weather in britan is really not that predictable. Even in the summer rain is a real risk.

You seem to want a fairly wide spacing, the sets sold for party lighting tend to be much closer spacing.

TLC do a 100M set with 3M spacing which can take bulbs up to 60W (so about the same total light output as your soloution would give) intended for use on building sites http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Site_Equipment_Index/Site_Lighting_1/index.html

It is colored yellow and will probablly come with a 110V plug but I am almost certain it will be built out of parts made to the same standard as the 240V sets sold for party lighting so it should be fine to change the plug and fit 240V bulbs.

I would go with pluggies suggestion, it would likely work out the same price too. Less work involved for you aswell.

I would also look to get 110v lamps, and use a site transformer, even if borrowed or rented. It's just that little bit safer.

Sponsored Links
Last of all, if someone knows where I could source external light strings (I wonder where blackpool get their illuminations from?) for a reasonable price, please let me know - I am only doing this because I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jeff

put your email in your profile. ill email you the details of a company i used to set up this type of thing a few month back

Sorry for my slow response, been on hols. Cheers for all the suggestions, very useful! Thanks Plugwash, I will go with the building site set from TLC, it was the kind of thing I was looking for but had been unable to find. Need to start worrying about buying booze for 100 people now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back