hacking apart fairy lights (no, really)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this may seem like an odd request....

I want to change a plastic/resin object I have at home, so that LED lights are embedded within and become a light feature in the lounge. I won't need lots of lights, so am wondering if it's simple enough to take some bog-standard mains powered LED fairy lights, and cut the cable to length before installing.

Is this something that someone with not much knowledge of electrics should even consider?

I'm thinking of something like this:
Fairy Lights

Finally, am I correct in thinking that LED lights run cold, or at least slightly warm?

Cheers all![/url]

Sponsored Links
no you cannot just cut them they are in series so they share the power
it may be 40 bulbs or 20 bulbs if you cut them in half they will get double the power as theres less sharing and will blow

Sponsored Links
they require about 3.6v[or less]
obviously 3.6 is maximum brilliance and shortest life so 110v div by 40 gives 2.75v so i assuming its a 110v transformer that comes with the lights

it could of course be 50v and 2x20 light strings running at 2.5v

I've got some LED fairy lights that run of 12v, and IIRC correctly they were wired in parallel. Can't be bothered getting them out of the loft to check though - I'll get back to you in December :p

I've got some LED fairy lights that run of 12v, and IIRC correctly they were wired in parallel. Can't be bothered getting them out of the loft to check though - I'll get back to you in December :p

5 bulbs at 2.5v =12.5 so it could be 8 parralel sets of 5 bulbs in series assumong you have 40 bulbs ;)

Thanks all for your feedback; going to spend some time looking at different ideas with this project of mine, and will take on board the advice given.

They also seem to be wired in series so you can't split them. You need something with a transformer likely built into the plug like the chargers used for phones.

but do remember these are designed for one month in twelve use and likely very low quality plus often surface mount integrated circuits which are a so and so to modify.

Best looking in Maplin for kit designed for DIY build so components are big enough to handle.

I reckon I could sell a bag of broken glass if it was colourful enough.

What is it with people and cheap, shiny sh*te? :D

Surface mount components - tools of the devil.
Probably lead free solder as well which is ten times more difficult to use, being composed almost entirely of tin.

Almost as bad as 'lead free pewter' whatever that is supposed to be.

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem. I've just ordered the lights in the link below but would like to cut them in two. IE have two strands of 10.

http://www.johnlewis.com/178916/Style.aspx

Can anyone help please?

Brendan[/url]

you can never ever just cut fairy lights short
unless you know the actual voltage off each bulb you cannot tell how many need to be in the circuit for the correct voltage

you also cant assume 230v are at the feed end it could be series parallel with a transformer reducing to say 24v with 2 lots off 20 bulbs in series parraleled together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back