Wiring fairy lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I would like to wire fairy lights (or something similar) to a normal ceiling rose light fitting. Could anyone tell me wether this can be done safely and if so how to go about it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could anyone tell me wether this can be done safely
Provided the lights are rated for connection to a 6A circuit, i.e. the instructions don't say to fit a plug with a 3A fuse.

and if so how to go about it?
Connect them to the live & neutral terminals in the ceiling rose...

electrics:lighting:lrblbn1w.gif

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Hi All, I would like to wire fairy lights (or something similar) to a normal ceiling rose light fitting. Could anyone tell me wether this can be done safely and if so how to go about it?
Thanks
seems a strange set up, why would you want to this? opposed to using a socket outlet with the correct rated fuse in the plug top :confused: :confused:

My grandad used to have a set of fairy lights in his front porch, connect via a male adaptor that went into the ceiling rose bayonet, might be an idea?

Sponsored Links
My grandad used to have a set of fairy lights in his front porch, connect via a male adaptor that went into the ceiling rose bayonet, might be an idea?
Dont think they sell them anymore. No demand.

They used to use them for such like irons and small heaters. My grandad had a small metal cylinder-like heater. showed me it working once. Had a braided cord and a bayonet plug. I doubt it was DI. :eek:

Can you still get fairy lights which connect direct to a 230V supply?

They ALL seem to be supplied via a wall wart transformer these days. :confused:

[/quote]

They used to use them for such like irons and small heaters. My grandad had a small metal cylinder-like heater. showed me it working once. Had a braided cord and a bayonet plug. I doubt it was DI. :eek:[/quote]

And my grandmother had an immersion heater element on a braided cord of just the right length to reach from a Y shaped adaptor in the light rose into the water in her tin bath. Ahh those were the days.

Can you still get fairy lights which connect direct to a 230V supply?

They ALL seem to be supplied via a wall wart transformer these days. :confused:

Presumably so they can run them in parallel rather than series to stop one bulb failure taking out the whole chain?

I think it's partly that, and IIRC there were a couple of cases where the insulation had become damaged on a 230V string, and caused electric shock.

Remember most of those strings were single insulated, and depending where the insulation gets damaged, there is a 230V shock potential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back