Wiring "Micro-Lights" into a mains (possible?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

DIY-er looking for advice before calling a professional!

I want to put some micro-lights under the ceiling of a room, but all the micro-lights I've seen plug in (like Xmas tree lights), and I want to have them wired into the mains.

Example lights: https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/i/q/C100-YW/100-warm-white-led-micro-fairy-lights

I'm not going to take this on myself - I'd be looking for a competent electrician. But can anyone tell me if this is at least possible, and how big/small a job it is, so I know what I'm asking for.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I presume by 'wired into the mains' you mean the lighting circuit so you can turn them on and off at the light switch?

I don't see why it couldn't be done, so long as you found some that required 12vdc you could replace the power brick with an appropriate sized LED driver - the only issue will be where this lives - much like the plug in power brick, it's needed to converted 230v to 12v. With a downlight etc you'd hide it in the ceiling behind the light - nothing to stop you doing that with these but you'll need to get to it if it fails and you'll have to think of a way to bring the first part of the light string out of the ceiling tidily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back