Wall/ceiling light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm after some help regarding the wiring of 2 wall lights taking power from an existing ceiling rose, controlled by a double switch.

I had a lecky come and sort some wiring for me but unfortunately he's done a Houdini, he was cheap!

IMG_20161220_165245.jpg

The existing rose powered an old fan/light combo, the 2 cables outside of the rose go to the walls lights I assume? How do I go about wiring them together to put power to wall? The rose has a light attached to it currently which works off one of the switches.

IMG_20161220_165400.jpg

This is the first wall light position. I have no idea what's going on here, how do I wire a light into this?

IMG_20161220_165450.jpg

This is the last wall light position. The white cable is still currently fully sheathed. Is it as simple as putting the white cable into the correct positions on the block with the grey cable and wiring the light into the other side?

When all is wired in, I want the ceiling on one switch and the wall on the other. Any help is greatly appreciated as getting a professional in this close to xmas isn't a viable option for me. I am a competent DIY-er and mechanical engineer by trade so I do have some transferrable hand skills, and I'm not a complete numpty like my wife thinks!

Sponsored Links
Not currently, no. My last one was from popular chinese tat website and didn't last very long, I'll invest in another from a reputable source!

Well, you are going to need one!
Also there is a cable that has brown and blue wires - that is obviously a newer addition, but all of the other cables in your pictures have black&red wires.

Need to identify where that brown&blue cable ends up. Maybe a photo of the wiring behind the switch will give us a clue.
But I rather think this isn't going to be a quick job to sort out over the Internet..

Sponsored Links
Yep, i would bet the blue and brown are the switch pair. As TTC has suggested, if that's the case, it won't be too much hassle to work out what's what. PS i think the pendant flex is wired wrongly the blue flex should connect to the 2black cables and the brown should connect to the single black, which is the switched live this should have a brown sleeve or brown tape to indicate it's SL.

Please be careful, as the reds in the centre of the rose are live even when the switch is off.

Turn the circuit off at the mains before connecting the wall lights. The wall lights would be fed from the 2 black and blue flex connector in the rose and the red the the wall lights would connect with the 3 reds in the centre connector.

The first wall light will have a permanent live behind it (the red and brown) the second red is where you would connect the L for the wall light the N would connect to the 2 Blacks in the connector block.

Post the switch wiring BEFORE doing anything ! Please

DS

DS

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies guys.

14822714366221132797333.jpg

The blue/brown does go to the switch, unless thats a completely different cable then I'm in a pickle!

Well that makes sense, the wall lights would have been switched with the centre light. Someone has added a separate switch pair which runs to the first wall light under the floor and then up to the switch position.

If you are not confident to connect as i have suggested please get an electrician !

Regards,

DS

PS the blue wire at wall light one requires brown sleeving or tape around it as it is the switched L from the switch. The lamp would be wired across the Blue with sleeve and the 2 blacks, and earth to the green and yellow.

Last edited:
Thanks again, the previous wall lights were powered from the ceiling rose but had switches on the units, so just a single switch on the wall. I'm guessing they were powered by the old black and reds (white cables) off to the side of the rose.

What's troubling me now it the fact there are the 2 white cables on the first wall light, and only one on the 2nd but also a twin/grey sheath is there, and 2 whites by the rose? ZERO wires at the wall points are live, which is what I expect.

The second wall light will only have one cable as it's the end of the line.

DS

Here is my best GUESS.
It's only a guess as it needs confirmation by use of a test meter. And ALL cables must be checked as to their function before power is applied.

There are two spare cables at the pendant. One MAY be the feed to the wall lights. You will need to buzz them out to check.
The other cable MAY have been the feed to the old light/fan?

The identified cable at the pendant needs to be connected to line and neutral feeds on the ceiling rose.
The wall light position with all the cables would SEEM to be like this.

Slide1.jpg
good luck getting all those wires behind a wall light!

EDIT, the picture has been trunkated.
Top right cable should say "feed from pendant"
bottom right cable = switched feed to second wall light.

Thanks for the help guys, I've managed to sort the wiring out get the lights to work as they should.

Now, as pointed out previously, I've got to struggle to actually fit the first wall light in place, the mess of wires coupled with the large recess that's now there is going to get in the way of fitting the bracket securely! The unit will only fit on the bracket one way, and I can't move its position as it'll look out of place with the other one.

You find a solution for one problem just for another one to take its place... Or maybe I should have planned ahead more?

Yes exactly like you said, both spare wires above the pendant powered the wall lights, one permanently and the other by the switch. I bought a box of those Wago connectors, which are brilliant, can't believe I've never seen those before! Used those to connect the wiring. I placed the wiring that powered the wall lights permanently into some wago's and put them in a small junction box to hide away above the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back