Managed to screw it right up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20170218_095749.jpg
I was attempting to replace a ceiling light which had 3 central wires in the loop. I could not get them in on the new light fittings so I have applied connector blocks to the ends until the electrician can get here. In doing so I've managed to knock out the light next door on the same circuit any answers folks? Or will it be out until the new light gets sorted

Sponsored Links
I dont suppose you took a photo before you disconnected it?
Those three browns in the middle of the picture, are they all connected together? They p[obably need to be.

PS why is there a bit of black tape on one of the browns? did you do that?

In the first picture, are the three browns actually making a connection in the connecting block ?

Sponsored Links
Everything else should work.

Check all the connections are sound.

You should be able to shorten those nicked wires.

All you need is a short bit of cable to extend those connections.

You may have a bit of flex lying around at home you could use.

No need to extend the connection with the three browns, just add a short piece of wire from the remaining three connectors blocks.

And the neutrals - blues... Are they making contact with each other too?

Check again - unless coincidentally you have disturbed something else, or there's a break in one of the conductors, the problem must lie here or here:

screenshot_1124.jpg

You have checked that the bulb in the adjoining room is OK?

Yes, or you could strip both conductors double the length, put them in the same end and tighten both screws down onto the conductors.

Look under your bit of black tape. That nicked conductor may have broken.
Or you'll need a test meter, or an electrician;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back