manaul priming fuel pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the function of the hand pump in the engine bay of a peugeot 1.6 hdi ?..mechanic reckons it could be that at fault..cos when you manually pump it no fuel seems to be getting through as it remains soft..is this pump only used when you run out of fuel and have to manually prime the fuel pump ?..or does it have other function?..ta

Sponsored Links
..is this pump only used when you run out of fuel and have to manually prime the fuel pump ?..

This part of your post is correct, it's also used to prime the fuel system after you've changed the filter.
so there is little chance of it becoming faulty and preventing the car from starting..? and thats its only purpose...doesnt do anything when car is running...?

It has no purpose when the car is running, but it does have a one way valve in it which maybe could prevent fuel returning to the tank after a lay up.
If you have to crank your car for a while before it fires up, its worth giving the primer bulb a few presses before trying - it does no harm.
Don't expect the bulb to go hard though, you are simply pushing fuel to the injection pump, and then back to the tank.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with my Ford, in that the car failed to start, and it turned out that the Bosch fuel pump was faulty. But according to Ford, they had never seen this before, so got all the Bosch experts in from Germany to confirm. Yes the pump was faulty. And even after replacement, the pump had to be operated due to air pockets still remaining, and that destroyed the turbo eventually.

How did the fuel pump fault goose the turbo, Micky?
John :)

Presumably the incompetent Ford mechanics messing around with the car, and having no idea what they were doing. The turbo messed up shortly after the fuel pump was repaired 2+2. And the fact that the car drank oil after the incompetent Ford mechanics messing around with the car, so possibly oil starvation? Say 1 litre of oil a week? to possibly 800 miles a week?

Wasn't a biggie for me, as it was a company car. It got written off when a security van, on a dual carriageway, in the rh lane, decided to enter a petrol station on their left via me. Never saw so many security people and police turn up, they thought I was ram raiding it!

How did the fuel pump fault goose the turbo, Micky?

That's what I was wondering, and his explanation is as equally implausible. Also a bit harsh on Ford mechanics, theyre not all incompetent.

All the ones that have worked on my cars have been. And anyone that I know with a Ford has reached the same conclusion. Sure there must be a good Ford mechanic out there. I just never met him. For a main dealer to say that they have NEVER seen a diesel pump fail, or swear blind that it is normal for aircon systems to leak is normal, or for my vehicle being in a locked compound at a dealer to have the aerial stolen, or to be charged for the radio code, as they haven't fixed damage to my vehicle for over 9 months, or once that vehicle is repaired, all the old parts are stored under the seat...could continue easily.

When I got a Toyota, totally different, they offered to repair items, that I didn't even know were broken, foc, always discounted parts. Total disarray at Ford, Total care at Toyota.

Dealerships will always tell you "we've never come accross this problem before", because if they told you "This is a common problem", they would get their backsides kicked by the manufacturer for knocking the product. I'll agree that Toyota dealers tend to be a bit more customer friendly.

Sponsored Links
Back