Manhole cover & decking - what's the guidelines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Planning a decked patio but have a manhole cover it would go over (just from my house); original idea was the decking could easily be screwed up if they needed to access to not a problem. However I might go down route of composite decking, which doesnt have screws but slots into spacers via recesses in the side meaning pulling them up is a little tricker - but still doable. I'm trying to work out what the guidelines are on this and whether that would still be okay, or I'd need to build in some sort of removable panel (which would be a shame but understandable). Anything I read just mentions access is needed, but provides no further details. IE i don't know if there's legal recourse if something has to be removed or what my rights are.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just make it easy to get to them..
Otherwise if you get blocked pipes, you're buggered. So to speak!

I put down a load of decking behind a church. There were two inspection chambers under the decking. I simply framed the joists so there was not a joist over the inspection cover and then laid decking with strips of decking screwed under it so it was one piece to cover the inspection chamber.

Sponsored Links
There won’t be a problem covering it but the easier accessible you can make it, the faster and cheaper it would be to unblock if you ever get a blockage.

Are there junctions into the manhole and are there other manholes up and down stream?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back