Manhole in Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, pleased to meet you. My first post on the forum and looking for some help. I'm laying a new patio behind my house but there is a manhole cover just a few inches from the back wall of the property (see image). Everything I've read suggests that the patio should not be less than 150mm below the DPC, the manhole is level with the DPC ! What are my best options ? Any help appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
This is inside the manhole (excuse the sun!) There are lintels supporting running both ways and so I don't think reducing the manhole height is an option ?

Sponsored Links
Looks like there's plenty of room, I'm sure someone who can provide technical details will respond soon. There have been other threads similar to this recently one was a guy wanting to lower a similar manhole in his driveway...

Ok thanks for the responses so far. So can I literally just remove the lintels and take out a couple of courses of bricks then re-lay at a lower height ? #iknowthatmakesitsoundsimple :)

You might need to re-install the lintels at a lower level. It would appear they are required as the cover is slightly smaller than the manhole so support is required.

if you are putting a nice patio down, you may want to replace the lid with one you can blend in better anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back