Manhole in the garden...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...what do i do about this?!

It's ugly, protruding and in a position where decking isn't apropriate.

I emailed the local council but they said neither they nor Yorkshire Water would do anything about it, as it's on land I own.

Anyone know how easy/cheap it is to get these replaced with something a bit easier on the eye?!

manhole.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like the sort of thing you find in the road covering a drain.

Have you had a look down it? might be a nuclear shelter!

They seem to be suggesting it is yours, not theirs... have you got a septic tank or anything? One of my relations has stormwater sewers through her property, the water authority has to maintain them if e.g. the brickwork collapses (two of them make viaducts over her stream, and are grassed on top).

You could perhaps make it less obtrusive by raising the soil level so it does not stick up. You're not supposed to put flowerpots on top but sometimes people do. Maybe a bush to overhang it? Or a patio table?

Got a similar problem, but mine is def Water company ( deeds plus searches state) . Hiding mine by stealth - bushes etc

Sponsored Links
crikey!

i think you have an anti- shipping, wwII mine there!!

seriously though, you may find that this cover is only the access lid to a larger chamber.

large 1.5m diameter or so chambers are built with a large "biscuit" lid dropped on top.
this biscuit then has a smaller 450-600mm off centre access hole in it, upon which the iron lid is placed.

you can replace them with a deep recessed cover, fill them with topsoil and turf, but not ideal if kids are running around because of exposed edges. As for that one (apart from looking like a sea mine thats been run over) youre going to struggle. It looks a very hefty one and im surprised to see it in a garden. it looks a heavy grade for vehicle traffic etc. Also round ones are not easy to replace with recessed ones as you have to increase the bedding area around them.

Thermo said:
Also round ones are not easy to replace with recessed ones as you have to increase the bedding area around them.

you can actually now buy recessed i.c. covers for circular chambers that have a circular access and a square removable lid.

only downside with turfing these is drainage.

they do tend to get a bit boggy.

do dry out as well, but can look ok dependent on location and better than that thing in your garden!

Thanks for the suggestions!

So where would i start to look for getting it replaced?

i think thats yor job, its in your garden.

but you will get a new cover at builders merchant

Or a black cast iron bird table or sun dail then the base will look like it's part of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back