Manhole Question

Reaction score
Rickmansworth near Watford in Hertfordshire
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a builder and have been asked by a potential client what this is. He wants to build an extension but there's a manhole cover in the middle of his lawn quite close to where we'd dig the foundation. This is what's underneath the cover. It's about 30 feet deep, possibly more. The house is fairly new so he can ask the house builder tomorrow but I thought I'd see if anyone on here could shed any light and impress him with my knowledge!

Sponsored Links
My guess is that it is for storm water and the blue pipe is an access tube to put down a jetter hose.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Now that I'm a gardener :rolleyes: I'd like one in my garden - all that free water for my plants ;)

30 feet deep! :eek:
Are you sure?

That would make an extension close to that drain almost impossible. The excavation work for a system that deep would mean a lot of disturbed soil has been put back over a large area as well as the whole proximity to a drain headache.

Tell him to forget extending. Moving house would be simpler.

30 feet deep! :eek: Are you sure?

Tell him to forget extending. Moving house would be simpler.

It's very deep!

He's only just moved in and the house is only a couple of years old. He may have to reduce the size of the extension, he wants to go out 7.5m on the side.

Another explanation I've had is :-

Probably a soakaway serving several properties. Would comprise a large flask with permeable walls so that surface water is held and then is gradually released into the soil. 30’ deep so that it’s in chalk rather than clay. Blue pipe air vent ??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back