Mansard roof - blown flashing & missing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - thanks in advance for any help.

With respect to the attached photo, it is from an apartment I am in the process of buying. The surveyor noted the missing tiles etc and said it urgently needs repairing.

It is from a 4 storey apartment block with a flat roof and it looks like you can get access to the roof (from Google earth). The floor and mansard roof were added onto an existing 1930’s block, 9 years ago. The existing owners have already had a leak (after 3 years of being built) which was fixed - doesn’t fill me with confidence.

It isn’t covered by the 10 year new build scheme as they, as well as the insurance company issuing the insurance certificate, went bankrupt.

So before completing etc I wanted an opinion if this is a big expensive repair job ie scaffolding etc, or whether it could be fixed from the roof?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 972703F2-77EB-439D-90F2-352DA6D17777.jpeg
    972703F2-77EB-439D-90F2-352DA6D17777.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks in advance for any help.

With respect to the attached photo, it is from an apartment The existing owners have already had a leak (after 3 years of being built) which was fixed - doesn’t fill me with confidence.

It isn’t covered by the 10 year new build scheme as they, as well as the insurance company issuing the insurance certificate, went bankrupt.

So before completing etc I wanted an opinion
Thanks again.
e
My opinion is that an Apartment is usually leasehold and the roof repairs are the responsibility of the Freeholder - good luck with that. My opinion is personally I would walk away.

Yes the freeholder would be responsible for the repairs, but the cost of those repairs are passed to the leaseholders via a service charge.

These repairs (and any others related to the structure and landlord) should be quantified and either done before the purchase or a suitable reduction in the price made. Bare in mind that serice charges tend to be billed anually, so repairs done now may not be billed for several months

Your legal advisor should be making enquiries as to these and other service charges that will become due shortly and any other planned works (and cost implications) for the medium term.

As to the actual slate and flashing repair, that may not be a simple case of replacing some slates. Scaffold is likely required, and there may be more extensive work to make sure the replacement slates are more secure than the previous ones were.

Not a major issue to put off purchasing, but be aware of potential costs which need to be deducted from the agreed sale price

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Quote came in at £1500 divided amongst 8 apartments so not to bad. Using steeplejack roof repairs as you can get onto the roof - so no scaffold. Quite a simple job apparently and thankfully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back