Manual or automatic transmission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be necessary for me change from a manual to an automatic transmission car in the near future.

What should I be looking for with the automatic transmission?

I know petrol consumption and CO2 output are higher; but is it also true that:

They have to be serviced more often and this will be more expensive.

The automatic gearboxes do not last as long as manual gearboxes and are extremely expensive to replace. (A few years ago a friend had a Rover which had 2 new automatic gear boxes in 6 years at a cost of £1.500!!)

I am looking at a supermini; 'What Car' recommend the Honda Jazz any thoughts which cars I should be considering.

I would prefer to keep my manual but it may come to a choice of driving or not.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Without a doubt - Japanese or German and definitely not French!
They are not more expensive to service
Automatic box failure means big money so consider an extra warranty when the 3 years are up
The Jazz is an excellent car - dont get any problems apart from squealing brakes which is easy fixed
Cheers John

Thankyou Burnerman, a great help appreciate you getting back.

Is it possible to tell me roughly how many miles I am likely to get out of an automatic before replacement is likely, compared to a manual, considering I do little motorway driving now it is mostly urban?

<What car have Ford Fiesta 1.25 Style Climate as the top supermini but I assume that was manual so is it definitely not Ford as well? they did say that Ford Focus automatic transmission didn't last as long as manual.

They have to be serviced more often and this will be more expensive.

Nope, some Auto`s are sealed for life and need no servicing but wear and tear on the brakes is slightly higher than a manual.

The automatic gearboxes do not last as long as manual gearboxes and are extremely expensive to replace. (A few years ago a friend had a Rover which had 2 new automatic gear boxes in 6 years at a cost of £1.500!!)

For a start you are using a Rover as an example :LOL: enough said.

I can highly recommend Honda, during my time at Honda as a tech I can only remember 1 auto box failiure and that was fixed under warranty.

The Honda Jazz is a great little car :D

Sponsored Links
With a quality motor such as Honda or Toyota, the box life should be really high - so not to be a concern at all. Fault diagnostics are good too.
I look after a Toyota Amazon 4 x 4, 4.2 litre diesel that has auto transmission and it has been a towing barge for 180,000 miles!
If the Jazz is available as an auto, I don't think I'd be looking any further, seriously. Honda, as usual, have got it right.
Cheers John

I had a Jazz with CVT transmission until recently. The gearbox is fine; it includes the option of a seven-step paddle shift. As far as I know, they are very reliable.

I had two problems with it. It felt underpowered when overtaking, and the fuel consumption was unimpressive, typically in the mid thirties per gallon. There was no diesel option with that model.

I don't know if the new Jazz addresses these problems. I've changed to a Mitsubishi Colt diesel, again with auto transmission. Much better fuel consumption now: I'm seeing displays of average mpg in the mid fifties with the warmer weather. With more (diesel) torque, it feels nippier than the Honda. However, I'm not keen on the DSG-type transmission, which can stay in too high a gear even when using the manual selector, which feels embarrassing and unsafe at times when instant acceleration is needed to avoid a crisis.

On automatics in general: in my experience they last quite a lot longer than manual boxes (but when they go wrong, repairing them can be too expensive); they are less fun to drive, but much less stressful in long periods of slow-moving traffic; on balance, the fuel consumption penalty is worth paying (and the transmission losses are less than they used to be in the bad old days).

Good review on the Jazz on Buyacar.com says it is a stepped automatic mode and they have got round the 'dreaded elasticated band effect by having 7 artificially mandated gears instead of one continuous ratio.

Haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!! assume you will.

The more I research the more confused I get.........think I'll catch the bus!!

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/honda/honda_jazz/review_honda_jazz_cvt7_range_916.html

Sponsored Links
Back