Marcus Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
What a nice, caring, grounded young man he is. A credit to his parents. (y)
Correct. We weren't well off - single parent upbringing and all that and had free school meals. Slight stigma, but hunger rules.
We'd feed any of our children's friends as long as parents are consenting.

EasX1E8WoAAyBGr

Sponsored Links
Is there starving children in Britain ? When I have been in poorer areas or watch news items on TV about such issues I quite often see lots of very fat people - or can you be very fat and malnourished at the same time such as with poor diets?

Is there starving children in Britain ?

Certainly hungry and malnourished children, maybe not starving. The growing need of food banks is a sign. Many teachers see very hungry children every day.

Is there starving children in Britain ? When I have been in poorer areas or watch news items on TV about such issues I quite often see lots of very fat people - or can you be very fat and malnourished at the same time such as with poor diets?
It's about health, welfare and nourishment, not about whether they are starving or not.
I'm sure you will understand that kids can have sufficient junk food to eat, but it doesn't meet their real dietary requirements, nor does it inculcate good eating habits for their future, or their kids future.

Unfortunately yes, a lot of children live in poverty. Pretty mad in this day and age.

You can, if you just eat junk food, not necessarily fast food, just cheap stuff with low nutritional value, you can be both obese and malnourished.

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...dmissions-for-scurvy-rickets-and-malnutrition

It isn't that hard to get the right number of calories in the UK, but there are some people who don't for various depressing reasons. Poor nutrition is more common.

So really it has little to do with lack of money and everything to do with buying and consuming the wrong type of food. Fruit is a lot cheaper than crisps and clear water is free along with being considerably better than fizzy pop.

So really it has little to do with lack of money and everything to do with buying and consuming the wrong type of food. Fruit is a lot cheaper than crisps and clear water is free along with being considerably better than fizzy pop.
Fruit isn't cheaper than chips, and it goes off, and it's a hot meal. Or chicken nuggets. And you don't have to work to get your kids to eat them.

If this were easy, or simple, it wouldn't be an issue anymore. We'd have sorted it out decades ago. Since we haven't I'm betting it's not simple or easy.

There are families who don't eat at all. Some parent's go without food to feed their children. You can't really tar everyone with the same brush.
This free school dinners are for families who earn less than £8k a year. That is not a lot of money at all, as you well know.

Have a look too around the supermarkets. Fruit is expensive, average price for a single apple is 40-50p. Average price for a donut is around 20p! Plus there always seems to be many more discount offers on junk than there does on fruit and veg. It's madness I agree. I do like that Tesco give away free fruit to children as they go in the store. Only something like an apple or a banana but it's a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back