Mares tails, horse tails.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since I moved into my property several years ago i have been plagued by mares tail or horse tail weeds which are pretty much impossible to get rid of as they have roots going down around two metres. I've tried just about every type of weed killer some of which kill off the surface growth, but not the roots, so they just grow again a few weeks later. I guess I've just learned to live with the problem.

This years growth has just started to appear, but have thrown up another problem in that the weeds have spread from the garden under the adjacent tarmac public pavement and in several places have started to lift the tarmac and could potentially cause trip hazards.

I'm just wondering now what responsibilities I have in respect of damage to the pavement? Obviously I can treat the weeds again but they will just continue to spread and grow. Or should I raise the issue with the local council in the hope that they may treat the weeds?

Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
I have tried glyphospate but I'm not sure what strength it is. Another problem is that anything I use on public footpaths will need to be safe for animals. I'd hate to be killing off all the neighbours pets!

S
This years growth has just started to appear, but have thrown up another problem in that the weeds have spread from the garden under the adjacent tarmac public pavement and in several places have started to lift the tarmac and could potentially cause trip hazards.

I'm just wondering now what responsibilities I have in respect of damage to the pavement? Obviously I can treat the weeds again but they will just continue to spread and grow. Or should I raise the issue with the local council in the hope that they may treat the weeds?

Any advice ?
No, the weeds started under the council's ground and spread to yours ;) those things were here with the dinosaurs and will be here along with bacteria when mankind is dust.

Sponsored Links
I have tried glyphospate but I'm not sure what strength it is. Another problem is that anything I use on public footpaths will need to be safe for animals. I'd hate to be killing off all the neighbours pets!

If youve bought from a garden centre, itll be diy strength.

Using a commercial strength one often will have a much bigger impact.

Just treat thosr in your garden, the others arent your problem

I used to have horsetail, and 4/5 years later it's all under control, though the initial infestation is not as bad as others on the road. I used "Kurtail" which unfortunately is not on the market any more, the active ingredient is now banned in Europe. (Glufosinate-ammonium - which IS different to Glyphosate). However, you can still get results with Glyphosate

There is no direct risk to people and animals walking about, if you over-do it though, you're not exactly helping the birds, bees, or waterways. Glyphosate should be used with PPE and on a dry calm day when no rain is due (use the Net TV rain radar app to see rainfall in your local area, real time). Glyphosate is "neutralised" on contact with soil, and you can plant the soil one the residue is dry, if you really wanted to. (these are all general notes about generic Glyphosate). I don't buy this idea about commercial grade or domestic grade etc. The correct dose is the one which uses the least chemical to the greatest effect - why would any deviation from this sweet spot be seen as advantageous is the point I'm making there

Back to getting rid of Horsetail. First - don't dig it up, the weeds spread. Second, and it's a bit late now as the season has just passed - but hand pick and carefully dispose of the brown things that shoot which look like asparagus. These contain the spores which give new plants - but it is one of the many ways it spreads. Do not dig-in any green horsetail back to the soil. You could attempt to get the roots, but any little bit you leave behind also re-spouts.

The Glufosinate-ammonium preparation were NON-systemic, but did easily absorb through the silica skin of the plant. However, as it was non-systemic it killed only the above-ground bit and not to the roots. But with enough action, the plant is weakened until it cannot go on.

Now, you'll have to resort to a Glyphosate preparation and use vinyl or latex gloves to lightly crush the plant to break open the silica skin and then Glyphosate can be absorbed. And it is systemic, but Horsetail is tough. Wait until the plants are 20cm before applying.

Other thing you can do is improve the quality of your soil (drainage) and also make it alkali by adding lime. there's a story about a volcano which erupted, ash everywhere nothing would grow for years - but the first things that did was.... you guessed it!

I've read regular mowing, if in the grass does actually help as the energy is wasted before the plant grows, but to mind mind is contradictory to the advise about not mechanically propagating it. Do all you can to prevent the brown asparagus/spore stage. Won't help this year but it will in future years.

I had good results laying down black plastic preventing light and water getting in. If you lay something hard, slabs etc, it just grows around them and appears at the edge. Use a large plastic flexible sheet, keep the water out, and it just doesn't grown to the edges.

Good luck!
Nozzle

Further to my previous message. The makers of Kurtail, having been forced to stop using Glufosinate-ammonium, now recommend sbk-brushwood-killer with a water conditioner. I absoluetely believe thw water conditioner makes all the difference if you're using tap water. Or use rain water from your butt.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back