Margaret Thatcher's legacy

Reaction score
Country
France
Unsure if this has been done before but cannot see recent threads.

In my opinon - 58 years old - MT prevented Britain from sliding down to the levels of the Congo and similar with her firm actions and laid the foundations for an economical revival.

i have to say that that at times I doubted her methods and means, such as sacking the miners, but when I thought about the cost of employing the miners versus the cost of not employing them I was (reluctantly) convinced and this was added to by by the E German collapse years later ( not directly relevant )

I really cannot understand how there are people who say that "Thatcher destroyed the UK/working classes etc " whatever.
If she had not been in power, tthen GB would now be a fifth-rate nation and the lowest on the ladder would be picking tins out of the rubbish on the streets which is not currently the case.

Discuss

Sponsored Links
Lets look at her ‘free market policy’.
1984 British Telecom privatised.
1986 Gas privatised.
1989 Water utilities privatised
1990 Electricity privatised.
OK Walker, tell us what percentage of each of these concerns are now owned by foreign companies and how much of the obscene profits they make goes abroad. Obscene profits made because they can charge us just what they want.
Add to the list, 1981 BAe, 1986 British Airways, 1987 British Steel.
She certainly sold off the country’s assets and to what benefit to Joe Public? Where did the money go?
Her biggest scam was to convince some of the public to buy shares in companies that they already owned, because they were nationalised.

This was Mrs Thatcher’s legacy and many people will never forget the part she played.
Dead right there, then.

Without Thatcher New Labour would never have existed. Sadly, we are heading back to Old Labour with Red Faced Ed. We need a good dose of Thatcherism right now - and I somehow feel we are going to get it.

Sponsored Links
If half of those businesses hadn't been privatised, I fear that instead of being owned by foreign companies, they would have been run into the ground, with ever stronger unions not bowing to change, not being competitive, and letting companies wind up instead of taking prudent choices to survive.

@ dave.m

From memory the performance - as a customer - of BT/BG etc was miserable i.e. you might as well have ****ed against the wall as complain.

When these companies were de-nationalised , this had a big impact on some - not all - of them and at last you got results to your complaints and it was no longer like living in soviet Russia when you had a problem with the gas.

As for water and electriccity I am not really too concerned about where the profits go, but more about the effects on consumers. The nationalised bodies were generally **** and treated their customers in the same fashion.

Dave,

Please tell me where you think think that GB would be in a table of developed nations now if MT had not been .

I'll just take a stab and say that because of MT we are at no 3 in the EU ( no computation, just gut-feel ) where do you think we would be without her ?

My father worked at a steelworks in the late 60's early 70's when steelworks were nationalised under a Labour government. Within a month, instead of 5 people working in his section producing x amount of pipes, there were 12 people working in that same section, producing the same amount of pipes. 2 months later , this had increased to 23 people still only producing the same amount of pipes. He did the sums and realised that if this carried on , the steelworks were doomed. Within 5-7 yrs, the steelworks had all but closed down.

Great economic plan
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Your views may be well known, but talking about "your views on that cow thatcher" is no more relevant than me saying "that useless **** Kevplumb" .

I have no idea what personal effect her policies may have had on you, but my view is that they were of immense benefit to the UK as a whole .

How do you see it in that light ?

As for water and electricity I am not really too concerned about where the profits go, but more about the effects on consumers. The nationalised bodies were generally s**t and treated their customers in the same fashion.

That is no difference with the private companies now. But what also is happening with our continental government owned utilities is that the prices are suppressed on the continent and raised here.
We are getting shafted more and more, and now we cannot do anything about it.
Now that the pound has weakened it may cause more utility problems, for us in the future.

She hated the lower paid working classes.

I like to think that if Thatcher had not done what she did someone else would have done it but not in such a stupid way.

She also decimated many other businesses with her policies.

Maggie done well for the UK.
Given we were being kow towed by europe she held em off pretty well on her watch.
She had more balls than all the brussels arse licking labour que@@ers put together.
(Not that that would be too difficult)

Maggie done well for the UK.
Given we were being kow towed by europe she held em off pretty well on her watch.
She had more balls than all the brussels a**e licking labour que@@ers put together.
(Not that that would be too difficult)

apart from the first line i would agree ;)

"that useless **** Kevplumb" .

feel free
DILLIGAF :idea:

If we had our own moint Rushmere Maggie would be up there along with Churchill, Brunel and Darwin.
Edit
OOh and not forgetting Kevplumb for services to the plumbing industry.
A five headed memorial. :D

Sponsored Links
Back