Marking Metal Back Boxes on Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have installed a load of back boxes (metal 40mm ones) onto noggins and need to put plasterboard over the top and then cut out the holes for the boxes

What the best method for locating these? Bang it to get it marked on the inside or careful measuring? Is there another no fail method?

Lee

Sponsored Links
I press the plasterboard against the backbox and then cut out around the mark left

Others of course will have different ways of doing it

I press the plasterboard against the backbox and then cut out around the mark left
A bit of carbon paper (if one has any these days!) between plasterboard and boxes makes even clearer marks (and without have to 'bash' it too hard). It's decades since I last needed carbon paper for its intended purpose, but I always keep some for purposes like this.

Kind
Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Wet finger around the backbox, smack the plasterboard in place, leaves an imprint to cut.

If the plasterboard is already in place and box hidden - try a metal detector to find the box. Easy to find the centre, then cut out from there.

Chalk or the wet the box then smother it with dust off the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back