Marking out positions for recessed downlights in a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I want to do the marking out and intend to use a padsaw or holesaw from below to make the cuts for the downlights I've got planned to fit. I've never done this before and this is how I am planning to approach the job. Let me know if it's totally out of sync, or totally wrong.

1) Use a chalk line and snap diagonally from corner to corner.
2) Measure in equidistant, e.g. 1.5metres from the corner of each line and mark on ceiling.
3) Adjust sizes where necessary to account for any joists above (using bradawl)
4) Apply same procedure to all rooms.

Common sense would say not to measure off any of the walls as this could cause very odd positions for the lights but I'm not sure?

None of the rooms are big enough to need more than 4 and if I do go for a greedy 5, the 5th will be fitted centrally and the other for will be offset slightly less from each corner to account for the extra lux. 6 lights could obviously be marked using the same process if super greedy.

Appreciate your thoughts, good and bad?
Many thanks

trial.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to determine where the joists are, then allow a certain distance from them to work out your pattern.

Then buy some decent lights which don't need holes in the ceiling instead :).

As said, work out where the joists are FIRST.

Chalkline - excellent, wish more people used them.

Use a holesaw, NOT a padsaw, to cut out the holes.

But before you do this, you a thin long screwdriver or a bradawl before drilling the holes, to check joists or other obstructions aren't in the way.

Before drilling the holes, test with the bradawl in the centre, and then all four 'corners' (wrong word) of the circular hole, to be sure you are clear of the joists etc.

Nothing wrong with measuring from the wall, assuming the wall in out of true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back