Marks when I've glossed

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My problem is on a couple of window sills I've glossed. I sugar soaped them, cleaned them with clean water, sanded them and glossed. But as the gloss was drying it looked like I'd sprinkled drops of water onto the drying paint. What have I done wrong. Is it grease ? Happened before in the past so not contaminated paint I wouldn't say....And that's how they dried...very unsightly.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the sill was dry? Sounds like you got water trapped under the gloss.

Somebody in your household is using Pledge/ Mr Sheen or another silicone based spray/polish.
Even if they've just been dusting with the same cloth that they use for polish, is enough to cause this.
I use Ever Build wonder wipes first and you have to be real thorough.

Sill was def dry so suppose could be the polish.... Could this still happenn even after sugar soaping and sanding ?

Sponsored Links
Not after a thorough sanding - so there was no shine left.

Sill was def dry so suppose could be the polish.... Could this still happenn even after sugar soaping and sanding ?

It is the polish.

Washing and sanding will only displace it.
It also happens when our double glazing friends used to wipe the silicone all over the sill when they'd finished butchering round it.

Throw any polish away as you don't need it and will only cause you probs. Even a dry cloth, lurking under the sink, that's previously been used for polish, will cause you probs, if it's just used to "dust".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back