White specs in gloss when painting composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there

A pal of mine is currently painting his composite door and is having a bit of a nightmare.

He’s sanded the door down, washed it down with sugar soap, primed (using exterior wood and metal primer from wilko), wet and dry sanded, primed again, wet and dry sanded again. Put one coat of gloss on using a roller and has got small white spots over the door where it almost looks like the paint is being rejected from that spot. They’re pin head sized but all over the door. I’ll upload some pictures when I get them.. but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I would have said it’s contaminants or grease spots on the door but he’s sugar soaped, rinsed and let the door dry…
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks
Dougie

Sponsored Links
1687721450865.png

A pic of what’s happening on the door.

Thanks Wayners. Any idea the best way to tackle it? Online seems to show a lot of car spraying solutions but nothing for painting and gloss.

Sponsored Links
I agree that the look like fisheyes.

The good news is that they will not occur anywhere else on the door.

I would bush paint on to each of the fisheyes and leave it for a few mins. If the fisheye reoccurs, wait until the paint thinkens slightly, then run the brush over it again. I assume that the paints used are water based. WB paints can be quite fussy in those kind of circumstances, but wiating until the paint thickens slightly often helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back