Masonry column between openings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, would very much appreciate your thoughts on a proposal regarding columns formed by adjacent window openings in masonry.

House is 1980s
102.5mm Brick / 100mm lightweight block consruction with 60mm cavity
The facade in question runs parallel with the floor joists (so no laterial suppor from these), however the roof trusses do bear on the internal blockwork.

Please see attached images.

I would like to lower the cill level of both the top windows by 2 courses (marginal gains but will make for a better view when sitting).

Though my gut tells me it will probably be fine, I am not an experienced builder and I carry the worry that comes with some basic knowledge in structures (years gone by).

From digging out a dusty copy of BS5628 and a college book, I see that:

The masonry between the openings is by its definition a 'Column':

effective thickness = 135mm
width = 510mm

If 4 x effective thickness > width => 'Column' 4 x 135 = 540 > 510 therefore column

Rather than concern myself with the compressive and flexual strenght right from the off I thought a good place to start would be the Slenderness Ration (SR)
which is defined as effective height / effective thickness.

The code states that slenderness ration should not exceed 27

The problem I am faced with is how to measure the 'effective height'? It is clear from the code that this is largely dependendent on the degree of horizontal laterial
restraint, and I determined where this exists (roof level and ground) , however it is not clear to me which appraoch I should be applying.

If you look at my second image it seems logial to me that I should only be concerned with the masonry bordered by the adjacent windows (i.e. 1200m height) Option A, however my college book shows a column like that shown in Option B - rather useless in this case as irrespective of how tall the windows are the SR remains the same.

Hopefully writing on images is legible

Am I missing something here, are there details,building regulation, eurocodes or just general know how that I'm not aware of. I suppose I could forget the SR and move on to the compressive / flexual strength calcs, but it would be nice to know.

I could just go to the local inspector but if possible would like to know some background before doing so.

Any help or leads on the matter would be amazing.

Many thanks

Ben

Attachments

• Image 1 Elevation.jpg
    Image 1 Elevation.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Image 2 Effecttive height.jpg
    Image 2 Effecttive height.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Hello all, would very much appreciate your thoughts on a proposal regarding columns formed by adjacent window openings in masonry.

House is 1980s
102.5mm Brick / 100mm lightweight block consruction with 60mm cavity
The facade in question runs parallel with the floor joists (so no laterial suppor from these), however the roof trusses do bear on the internal blockwork.

Please see attached images.

I would like to lower the cill level of both the top windows by 2 courses (marginal gains but will make for a better view when sitting).

Though my gut tells me it will probably be fine, I am not an experienced builder and I carry the worry that comes with some basic knowledge in structures (years gone by).

From digging out a dusty copy of BS5628 and a college book, I see that:

The masonry between the openings is by its definition a 'Column':

effective thickness = 135mm
width = 510mm

If 4 x effective thickness > width => 'Column' 4 x 135 = 540 > 510 therefore column

Rather than concern myself with the compressive and flexual strenght right from the off I thought a good place to start would be the Slenderness Ration (SR)
which is defined as effective height / effective thickness.

The code states that slenderness ration should not exceed 27

The problem I am faced with is how to measure the 'effective height'? It is clear from the code that this is largely dependendent on the degree of horizontal laterial
restraint, and I determined where this exists (roof level and ground) , however it is not clear to me which appraoch I should be applying.

If you look at my second image it seems logial to me that I should only be concerned with the masonry bordered by the adjacent windows (i.e. 1200m height) Option A, however my college book shows a column like that shown in Option B - rather useless in this case as irrespective of how tall the windows are the SR remains the same.

Hopefully writing on images is legible

Am I missing something here, are there details,building regulation, eurocodes or just general know how that I'm not aware of. I suppose I could forget the SR and move on to the compressive / flexual strength calcs, but it would be nice to know.

I could just go to the local inspector but if possible would like to know some background before doing so.

Any help or leads on the matter would be amazing.

Many thanks

Ben
Are you discussing the merits of a small section of masonry between two windows and the affects of making those windows deeper - thus making the slender pier of masonry taller?
All looks OK to me. Surely the stability comes from the corner return masonry, especially if you were to say hypothetically fit one long lintel over the two windows.

Hi Noseall, thanks for showing an interest, Yes that's it, essentially making the masonry in-between taller. I agree that if hypothetically one lintel spanned both windows then the return would provide some stability, but in this instance the lintels both bear on the column in-between the openings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back