masonry drill length

Start looking on eBay for a good used corded SDS+ drill, of a proper make/range, at about 5J, such as blue Bosch, Makita, Hitachi.

Sponsored Links
This seems like a 'one off' job. Much simpler and cheaper to use a tool hire shop, he'll get the correct tools for the job.

It's always a one-off job. Until the next one-off job, and the one after that.

As well as holes through walls for cables I've used my Bosch GBH-4 for small-scale demolition/breaking, cleaning reclaimed bricks, cutting a hole for a tumble drier exhaust duct, chopping out for back boxes and simply drilling 6mm holes in particularly recalcitrant concrete lintels to put up curtain tracks.

Last edited:
hi, can anyone tell me the length of masonry bit i need to buy, to drill from outside a wimpy brick house to get through the 2 bricks to make a big enough hole for a cable & best bit to get through ,cheers
Effort-saving tip:

It will depend on what size cable you need to get through, but what I've done for lights in the past is to use 16mm flexible conduit. You really need an oversized hole - 20mm conduit through a 20mm hole is an unnecessary struggle (probably why flameport recommended a 22mm bit).

With 16mm conduit you can use an 18mm or 20mm bit.

And I would recommend working up in a number of small steps, to minimise spalling.

Sponsored Links
Do 20mm. bits drill exactly 20mm. holes in masonry?

They always seem to end up a bit larger in my experience.

I needed to put some 10mm2 SWA through a cavity wall, I found by reading the specs that the swa was about 15.8mm diameter (or somesuch), the plastic conduit was 20 with a 2mm wall thickness, and in the end the conduit fitted perfectly through the wall with a hammer tap, and the swa fitted snugly in the conduit enough to draw enough length to reach the under stairs cupboard.
I also used the same type of conduit to protect a 15mm copper water pipe passing through the cavity. And some t&e for an outside light which needed protecting from the polystyrene insulation.
But I think the eventual size of the hole depends also what you're drilling through and the quality of the bit.

I think the OP will be confused now, the amount we're all contradicting each other!

update ,
hi, tackled the drilling this evening used my bosch 680 limited to masonry 14mm
bought a quality PTX universal 16mm bit from B & Q & took my time,
got through what was only one brick about 5" without too much trouble
so thanks to all for your input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back