Drill size for lighting cable

Sponsored Links
Use 1.0mm, it's quite adequate, cheaper, and saves the worlds copper resources.
The USA seems to be wasting a lot of copper with their 120V system.

Indeed, but that is the most wasteful nation on earth. Big petrol guzzling cars, apartment blocks with unmetered hot water supplies, laws that ban washing outside on lines so you have to use a dryer, I could go on and on.

Total wattage on the 35m 1.5mm twin and earth will be around 350 watts.

Sponsored Links
Some (very few) have such a restriction set down in a superior lease. Have seen it as a condition in some of the some of the more upmarket estates / gated communities.
So a covenant on a property, maybe, but a law? I don't think so…..

My next door neighbour is American and she told me about a case in Michigan when some English people hung washing outside and were told in no uncertain terms it was illegal. Who knows, perhaps it was some high handed official making up the rules.

But that is not in the UK!!

You don't have to look far for stupid laws, especially in the USA (Michigan is in the USA, isn't it?).
For instance, in Wyoming it is illegal to take a pictire of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.

If you have any other obscure trivia, maybe you should post it, elsewhere.

But that is not in the UK!! You don't have to look far for stupid laws, especially in the USA ...
I think you may have lost track of the branch of the discussion you jumped into, since it was about the USA:
The USA seems to be wasting a lot of copper with their 120V system.
Indeed, but that [the USA] is the most wasteful nation on earth. Big petrol guzzling cars, apartment blocks with unmetered hot water supplies, laws that ban washing outside on lines so you have to use a dryer, I could go on and on.
... whereupon...
Some (very few) have such a restriction set down in a superior lease. Have seen it as a condition in some of the some of the more upmarket estates / gated communities. So a covenant on a property, maybe, but a law? I don't think so…..

Kind Regards, John

My next door neighbour is American and she told me about a case in Michigan when some English people hung washing outside and were told in no uncertain terms it was illegal. Who knows, perhaps it was some high handed official making up the rules.

But that is not in the UK!!

You don't have to look far for stupid laws, especially in the USA (Michigan is in the USA, isn't it?).
For instance, in Wyoming it is illegal to take a pictire of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.

If you have any other obscure trivia, maybe you should post it, elsewhere.

We were talking about the USA being the most wasteful nation on earth so that is relevant not obscure trivia.

Thought we were talking about the correct drill size for some cable…..
The posts to which you recently responded weren't! If you had believed that they were, why would you have contributed to a discussion you believed to be about drill sizes with comments about restrictive covenants in leases?? :)

Kind Regards, John

Back on to the drill size... :)
I used a 10mm drill bit today, drilled from inside and then switched to drill mode as I was exiting the rbick. It provided a perfect finish. Thanks

A further question from todays work - If I was having a flood light with a sensor and also wanted a light switch in case I needed to switch it on manually, shud i ahve a junction box where the feed and switch cable meet and then a single cable exits out of the cavity hole and connects to the light?

I can do I'm trying to keep it consistent throughout the house. I've connected others into the light fitting. Is that an issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back