masonry drill length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can anyone tell me the length of masonry bit i need to buy, to drill from outside a wimpy brick house to get through the 2 bricks to make a big enough hole for a cable & best bit to get through ,cheers

Sponsored Links
20mm. x at least 400mm.

20mm. - then you can fit a piece of 20mm. conduit through - to make it easier and protect the cable in the cavity.

Slope down toward the outside so any water runs out.

Not sure what you mean flameport, I don't have an SDS drill (apart from a screwfix titan special which I only use for breaking things up) and I have drilled plenty of 20mm holes through cavity and solid walls with a 300mm long bosch drill bit and a black and decker bog standard hammer drill.

Sponsored Links
a black and decker bog standard hammer drill.
Just because it's possible, doesn't mean you should do it.
20mm will be exceeding the specification for that type of drill and when the bit jams in the hole, the drill will be destroyed along with your wrist.

Personally id use 2 drills a smaller bit first about 10 mm, rather than break out the brick with the larger drill.
The larger drill can then be used from both sides to give a cleaner hole, and if you get it wrong with the small drill the damage will be lesser than getting it wrong with a 20mm plus drill

20mm will be exceeding the specification for that type of drill and when the bit jams in the hole, the drill will be destroyed along with your wrist.
Maybe but that drill lives a second life as a hand me down, and my wrists are renowned for their strength!:cautious:

But agreed with rocky a 10mm hole first can make things neater, although my long 10mm drill isn't very good (toolstation cheapie)

Sounds like the one i have, less than 50 pound in screwfix i think, i used it to take down a garden wall, its quite heavy duty and does a good job for the price and not too heavy so you can go at it for a while, though tends to get hot after an hour.
Coupled up with some cheap ebay chisels with sds shafts, it done the job, you turn off the rotation with a lever on the side, or you can use as a drill with sds bits, dont recall if you can turn off the impact and use an sds chuck.

i don't have a sds only a BOSCH PSB 680 RE.user manual says concrete 14mm i was thinking of 14mm & if cable can't go through ( water feature type cable ) try to enlarge with bigger bit ,can only drill from outside because it's hard to work out where the bit will come through ,
also i see you can change from SDS by using a chuck adapter, but don't see any adapters to change to SDS

Sounds like the one i have, less than 50 pound in screwfix i think, i used it to take down a garden wall, its quite heavy duty and does a good job for the price and not too heavy so you can go at it for a while, though tends to get hot after an hour.
Coupled up with some cheap ebay chisels with sds shafts, it done the job, you turn off the rotation with a lever on the side, or you can use as a drill with sds bits, dont recall if you can turn off the impact and use an sds chuck.
Yeah mines a Titan, but it sounds like I splashed out more than you and got the version with all the accessories, so I have a standard Chuck adaptor and various low quality looking drill bits

i don't have a sds only a BOSCH PSB 680 RE.user manual says concrete 14mm i was thinking of 14mm & if cable can't go through ( water feature type cable ) try to enlarge with bigger bit ,can only drill from outside because it's hard to work out where the bit will come through ,
also i see you can change from SDS by using a chuck adapter, but don't see any adapters to change to SDS
There would be no point, SDS is used on high torque drills because they don't slip and the hammer action can transfer better. As soon as you put a normal Chuck in between you've lost all the benefits. It's the drill itself that needs to be SDS.
Although as you can see there's opinions whether you'll get away with a normal drill so I guess you need to decide whether to risk it.

Unlikely. My rotary/impact drill has no issues with drilling those kind of holes.

Attachments

• boschdrill.png
    boschdrill.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 236
okay guys thanks for your'e help i think i will get a 14mm decent bit & take it from there,
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back