Ring floodlight install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a ring floodlight, without having huge amounts of cable running round the outside of my house just so i can plug it in. I was wondering what size masonry bit i would need to drill into my bedroom and plug it in the other side? As it would be a lot neater and it would save me running lots of cable around. The flex i have now is 1mm² and i have used it on another light, but i basically just drilled through a wooden window frame and plugged it in. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I want to install a ring floodlight, without having huge amounts of cable running round the outside of my house
Do Ring floodlights need more cable than other makes?

Install it without huge amounts of cable running round the outside of your house, then.

Umm. Measure the flex diameter and get a LONG masonry bit a couple of mm bigger.
Note that your average cavity wall will be as much as 300mm thick. Forget trying to drill from both sides and expecting to meet in the middle. Tried that lots, failed, mostly....
Your hole needs to slant down from in to outside to prevent water running along the flex and into the house.

Sponsored Links
Someone bought me a 8 260mm bit earlier so that will be too short then. My other concern is electrical wires too that supply the plug socket under my bed as well. If i can go through the brick with a short bit of cable with a plug on the end i'll be very happy.

The flex i currently have is 1mm² it says on the wire. Would a 10mmx400mm bit work?

Someone bought me a 8 260mm bit earlier so that will be too short then. My other concern is electrical wires too that supply the plug socket under my bed as well. If i can go through the brick with a short bit of cable with a plug on the end i'll be very happy.

If you have solid brick walls, your drill bit might be long enough, if cavity, possibly too short. Assuming that you have a 9" wall, drill from the outside in, the inevitable blow out will be inside the property, and easier to repair.

Follow the advice to drill slightly upwards.

I have a set of 1metre 3 Ssd bits bought for less the a £10 in Lidl .
Think they were 10-12-15mm.

It's 3 core flex and it's 4mm in diameter apparently. I did find a 3 pack of masonry bits in Screwfix but they didn't have them in stock in the shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back