Masonry Paint over Oil-based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front of my terraced-house has always been painted with oil-based gloss. I want to use a masonry paint instead - is this possible? If so, would a thorough abrasion with a wire brush suffice to key the surface?

Sponsored Links
I take it you are referring to the stone/masonry sills etc rather than the the actual walls.

A wire brush will not abrade the surface sufficiently. You need to sand it with 80 Grit (or similar paper).

Be advised that masonry paint will regular recoating if you want to keep it looking clean.

I take it you are referring to the stone/masonry sills etc rather than the the actual walls.
Nope - the entire wall had been painted for decades in oil-based paint!

Might be worth thinking about rendering the wall then it can be painted with masonry paint

Sponsored Links
In theory everytime this house has been repainted, the old gloss should have been sanded down every time.

Perhaps once it has been sanded down, a coat of oil-based undercoat before applying the masonry paint would offer a bit more adhesion.

Sand it down, dust it off and coat it with Zinsser Bullseye 123. Then you're ready to go with the masonry paint.

Sand it down, dust it off and coat it with Zinsser Bullseye 123. Then you're ready to go with the masonry paint.
I think I'll go with that - probably need to use wire wool to contend with the rough parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back