Massive flood out of Ariston Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Switched the boiler to CH for the first time in ages and it fired up fine but made a clicking sound inside ,like some sort of valve trying to close,tried the hot water and it wouldnt come hot.Also in the year I overfilled the system using the loop and it went to 3.0 bar....so tried getting some water out of the rads to get the pressure down,finally opening a heating drain outside because it didnt seem to go down on the gauge one bit draining just the rads.the clicking noise was fulltime.Next exciting bit was about 6 litres of water cascading out of the bottom of the boiler,switched power off and mains at the stop tap.Now got no water at all.What has happened please and can it be fixed or should I just get a new boiler its 6 yr old.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your installation - it might be easier to fit one external to the boiler.

If so then a fraction over the 100+VAT mark.

Replacing the one in the boiler will probably mean taking it off the wall.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the PRV is not vented to the outside!

Thats a bit of a safety issue as it could be boiling water!

Reduce pressure with bleed on rad to 1.5 Bar and see what boiler does.

What model is it anyway?

Tony

Ariston microgenus 32,there is still pressure on the gauge would it read zero if the expansion tank was broken ?.thanks again for help.

Looked again and the safety valve has an outlet pipe to the drain so I dont think its from there thanks again.

Its difficult for me to guess what has failed but almost certainly there is no pressure in the system and the gauge is stuck above zero.

If you try to repressurise with the outer cover off you should see where the water is coming from!

Tony

Sorted ....the gauge was faulty ,the motor that worked the diverter was struggling ..replaced(the clicking noise ).Think with having no water in the CH pipework in blew past the safety valve when it tried to heat up.Pressure was high due to gauge misreading originally .....thought it took alot!.
Thanks to everyone for your time to respond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back