master blaster in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got a shed at side of my house, nothing too special just your average shed with a nice big brenton bolt which i fitted, I would like to make it a bit more secure. the shed has a 1.5mm 3 core outdoor flex which is only supplying a light above the shed door and its controlled by simply by a 3 amp plug in the house.

I plan to install a masterblaster in the shed (that nice yellow motor siren which everyone loves :) ).

There is woodenboard in the shed covering the window I plan to install it there and the gadgets. My initial plan is to get a small fuse board (the independant ones for a shower for example) and a water proof junction box housing a 12v power supply and and relay. also waterproof door contact and a keyswitch with and an indicator.

So its just a simple key operated alarm. The way I plan to install it is, move the power cable which currently supplies light to feed the fuseboard in the shed. one breaker for the light itself and other for the power supply and the masterblaster. (obviously buy another 6amp breaker). then next to the fuseboard mount the waterproof junction box which will house a 12v power supply adapter and a 12v relay. From the junction box will be cable coming in from the board, and coming out the junction box will a cable for the door contact ( alarm cable), and cable for the keyswitch (2 core flex),

Connections in the junction box

high voltage side

power coming in from from the board to a 10 way 10 amp terminal block, from the terminal block will be L,N,E feed to the power supply. neutral and earth feed to the masterblaster, live feed to the keyswitch, live return from the switch to live to the masterblaster.

low voltage side

12v from adapter, negative to relay input commoned with the negative input to the MB trigger, positive from adapter to common terminal on relay, NC from relay to MB + trigger. positive from adapter via door contact then to + relay input.

So in theory when some scumbag decides to break into the shed ( the door is the only way they can get it) forces the door the masterblaster will trigger instantly. The keyswitch will be used to arm and disarm. The keyswitch will effectively just break the live to the masterblaster.

What do you think:)

Sponsored Links
The Masterblaster has a 12V trigger, so wire it directly to the mains via an FCU (fused spur, no switch - the metal-clad MK ones with the 'screw' holding the fuse compartment would be good). Get a transistorised relay and use the contact to trigger it with the keyswitch shunting the contact. Don't run any kind of power through the contact - they don't like it. The relay contacts can then be used to trigger the MB. Don't have an indicator on the keyswitch or the scumbag will know when you've forgotten to set it! You should also fit some kind of timer so that the MB won't sound for more than 15 minutes otherwise the Environmental Health bloke will make a mess of your shed/wiring AND put a big bill through your letterbox!!

A cheap alarm panel would be quicker and easier to install and might even cost less. It already has a 12V psu, a 'relay' and a timer in it as well as other useful features (like an entry timer so that you don't need the keyswitch on the outside of the 'protected area'). You won't need the little fusebox and you can give your neighbours the code.

I'm a great one for designing and building my own thing but I don't think my neighbours would appreciate this DIY design if it went off!!

Sponsored Links
thanks. I am the same I like design things as well, but I don't think the neighbor's or passerby's would appreciate a huge 127db masterblaster sounding constantly :LOL:. I will have a look tomorrow, I might be able to get an alarm cable in the house and have it controlled from the main alarm.
use the power cable in the shed to feed the masterblaster and use the alarm cable for the contact and trigger. don't know if that will work:?:

If not van you recommend a panel to use for the shed? thanks

so what control panel would you recommend for the shed, also was thinking I might dump the Masterblaster is probably a bit over the top. still want a loud sounder though, would an elmdene int 500 be ideal? they are 120db allegedly. are they ear piercing will they drive you away?. thanks

Scantronic 9448 will do the job for not a lot of money. Easy to program and install.

Those little Elmdene sounders are very loud. Not master blaster territory, but at least it'll work if the power goes off (deliberately or otherwise!)

changed my mind, I'll be a man, I going to buy the masterblaster after all, then use that little technique you suggested bernardgreen;). might add second keypad in house though just in case it decides to have fun during the night due to a false alarm or the real deal. which reminds me, can you recommend any waterproof door contacts suitable for outdoors just to prevent any false alarms. thanks merry christmas.

.... & don't forget that if he injures himself as a result, Stuart will be liable.

ah the criminal rights, what a joke,they don't deserve rights,what about the poor victims they terrorize? sod em.
so any recommended outdoor door contacts. thanks

Any contact with a potted / sealed lead into a plastic IP rated box , if your struggling drop me an email I've probably got one or two kicking around .

It was not the contacts I was talking about, but the Master Blaster. I would assume you have never been near one when it is sounding.

Always wear good quality ear defenders 'just in case' and keep your fingers away from the impeller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back