Master Socket in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our BT line comes into the back of our property, entering the loft, through the length of the building, outside the front elevation and back down through the porch (which is collapsing and subject to breaking the wire) and through the front door wall to the Master Socket.

I’d like to simplify this by moving the MS into the loft right where the line entered (or close to)

Rules around moving this aside, and with a power socket added into the loft for the router, is there any downside to this?

All I can think of is the potential to overheat the router in summer? But I don’t know how likely this is? Seems a good “out of the way” solution which also removes this issue with the porch. Shorter cable and fewer opportunities to go wrong with that mad route through the house.

I also have an Eero mesh network, so would continue to do so throughout the house (but served from above).

Any reasons not to do this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rules around moving this aside, and with a power socket added into the loft for the router, is there any downside to this?

That is where my MS is located and where my main router is too. From there, the phone cable fans out to various socket around the place, installed pre-wireless phones. Likewise, the router fans out to other repurposed routers around the place, each including wifi. Our lines are copper on poles and the original phone line came in overhead, to the eaves, then down the outside wall. It was forever breaking loose from the wall and looked unsightly, to I moved it to the loft, and ran all cables internally and hidden, during a major refurb in the 80's.

The downside comes, when I eventually need to move to full fibre, because they may expect to bring the fibre in at ground level. At the moment I have FTTC (fibre to the local cabinet) then over-head copper. My loft is partially converted and insulated, so it stays cool - you might need to find somewhere cooler to locate the router..

Fluctuations in temperature won't do the equipment much good. Peak summer it can be boiling up there!

If any of the equipment has fans it will get very dusty quickly.

You also probably don't have any smoke alarms up in the loft so could be a fire issue.

Could you pass it down through ceiling into a cupboard below and then could build a proper comms cabinet?

Could you pass it down through ceiling into a cupboard below and then could build a proper comms cabinet?

Yes, this is my second option, and your very good points are making me think this is a better solution all round.

I believe the incoming cable in the loft is a 2-pair. Should I buy more of that, route into the loft from below, and join with connector crimps? That aspect is new to me.

Sponsored Links
I believe the incoming cable in the loft is a 2-pair. Should I buy more of that, route into the loft from below, and join with connector crimps?

Normal is one pair, two wires. You can get proper joint boxes for the purpose, easier and more reliable than the usual electrical crimps, which will be far too large.

I agree. Use proper joint boxes.

I did a similar install with my broadband cables and CCTV camera cables. They were all coming into the loft so I pulled them down through the ceiling and into the old Immersion cupboard below. Got a rack setup in there with router, switch, CCTV recorder, etc.
It also means if I need to get to it, I don't need to go up into the loft.

Should I buy more of that, route into the loft from below, and join with connector crimps? That aspect is new to me.

I thought it went through the loft and down the front of the house? i.e. there should be more than enough cable if you pull it back up into the loft and re-route. Always avoid joins where possible.

Normal is one pair, two wires.
I'm sorry, Harry, 1 pair is very rare. Normal is 10b dropwire, which is two pair.

Openreach wont want to go in the loft unless it is boarded if they have to work on it. I have just had full fibre run in and the router can be anywhere once they have left. Full fibre needs a double socket (supply) one for the ff box, one for the router. Once they left I left the ff box where they had fitted it and ran a cat 6 cable to the router where it was best placed to serve other outlets.

Yes, but will fibre not come in along the ground, then need to be routed up to the loft?
My fibre comes in from an overhead cable, down to ground level, into the bungalow, round the skirting to a full fibre box. Then the ethernet cable (cat6) goes from the ff box into the loft and then to the router. The router can be moved to the loft or anywhere else once Openreach have left. FF does not like tight bends and Openreach do not like climbing ladders or working in unboarded lofts so its unlikely they will fit it into the loft.

Once you have fibre in place it is best not to mess with it as very delicate.
Can leave the fibre part at ground level and then run CAT6 to router.

I thought it went through the loft and down the front of the house? i.e. there should be more than enough cable if you pull it back up into the loft and re-route. Always avoid joins where possible.

It does, however the cable is poor and on the verge of breaking, so would ultimately be better to replace it.

It does, however the cable is poor and on the verge of breaking, so would ultimately be better to replace it.
Then join it in the loft with a BT77A box and buy some 2 pair CW1308 cable to continue the run to the new master location.

do you have a landline at all ???, i assume not based on the question as it only relates to the master socket

I would also probably stick the router into the TEST socket, as that will be asked for whenever there is any issues with connection - also maybe a smart plug, so you can switch on/off without climbing into the loft

Deadline by Dec25 all landlines will be via VOIP , and so connected to the router - we had to do this last month on contract renewal with vodafone
as we stil use a landline

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back