Mastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the tan-colored substance that remains after removing ceramic tile from the backsplash in my kitchen is called mastic??? After chisling some away, I like the texture and wonder if I can paint it? I think I'll like the effect but will it be functional?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome
in general in the uk you can not overpaint silicone mastic the only solution but not advisable is to coat with a layer of painters silicone filler[painters mate type stuff ]then paint that
but the results are likely to be unsatisfactory

others may have better ideas :rolleyes: ;)

Thank you for welcoming me :) I appreciate your input. So it is mastic???I'm going to try a test area and post the results.

dont rely on my spelling i am imfomous for wrong spellings and lack of grammer :) :) :) [see what i mean ;) ]it should say [or it does in the uk]says can or cannot be over painted on the tube :D :D :D

this is the stuff click me

Sponsored Links
Does clulsktcn mean the old tile adhesive? If so, I just can't imagine it looking nice whatever you did.

I would imagine that if you were after a wavy finish you would use artex or as big-all said decorators caulk, which sounds an expensive way.

aaaaaahhhhhhh i think i have been misreading this i read mastic and assumed the silicone plastic sealant that wont take paint
reading it afresh it looks like what they have is the tile adhesive that has been combed leaving a pattern of swirls grooves and furrows ect
and the answer is i dont know if you can overpaint the adhesive that is left[thats asumming i have read it right this time] :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

thanks d and j for pointing out my mistake :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back