Material for shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GF has decided she wants some wall shelves in the lounge for storing CD's and DVD's. I'm going to make these as a simple 4 sided box that will be fixed to the wall with hidden corner plates.

However she wants these painting the same colour as the walls - Wickes vinyl Matt emulsion.

What's the best (quickest) material to use for the shelves? I can use wood which will take a lot of sanding before priming and painting or MDF - less sanding but hard to get a decent paint finish on the edges?

Is emulsion suitable for painting shelves? I did think about covering it in a clear varnish to protect it 😐

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You CAN use that paint for the shelves.

What about MDF with an edging strip? (not the iron-on stuff but proper wood the right thickness)

Save you a lot of hassle instead of sanding wood or laboriously sanding the MDF edge to get a good finish.

an MDF box as you suggest is quick and easy to do and you can always just wood glue the facing on to save extra filling etc.

Or, and this might be anathema on a DIY site, just buy some plain white Bennos, paint them, and use your time to do DIY where you can add real value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back