MATHS HOMEWORK FOR A 12 YEAR OLD

Surely that answer would have marks deducted for unnecessary working? :D

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why you think that the slower boat will travel different distances on the different crossings.

It's because the faster boat is going at a greater speed and therefore meets the slower one 300m before (ie 650m-350m) the first passing. If they were to continue crossing to and fro, they would end up going in the same direction with the faster boat overtaking the slower one.

Sponsored Links
Hasnt anyone ever measured a wall or floor from both ends to find a centre point? First you measure to your guess at whats the centre or where your rule runs out say 3m and make a mark then measure 3m the other way (or up to the previous mark) and make another mark then measure the difference and use that to determine the centre.

Bolo, the real thing ....

Look into the future ...

:cool: ;)

FerryJob2.jpg

Does that save a mouse click or so?
:D
BTW this is no proof that all velocities or waiting times will oblige 'cause they will not. merely the problem set by Old Sam himself... For a particular set of circumstances....
:D :D :D

The best answer I got from a friend was that it was a job for quadratic equations - but other than that, she can't remember how to work it out!!!!

So still no answer.

Bolo, if your kid doesn't give us the answer, I'm afraid I will have to make serious threats against him!!!! :LOL:

pip we know you are a maths genius on this forum and probably did calcs like above as a twelve year old but I cant quite see your run of the mill twelve year old doing that sort of number crunching ;)

But which answer is the right answer? :D I got lost about 4 pages ago!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links