Mattress Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there basically I purchased new mattresses and new to get rid of my old ones. Whats the best way of getting rid of them? I don’t have my own vehicle or I would have dropped it off at the tip.

Sponsored Links
Your local council probably offer a service for bulky waste collection.

Depending on where you bought the mattress from (and if it hasn't been delivered yet) the retailer supplying your new one may offer to take the old one away for a fee.

You can also probably find waste contractors on google who will take it, again for a fee.

Your local council probably offer a service for bulky waste collection.

Depending on where you bought the mattress from (and if it hasn't been delivered yet) the retailer supplying your new one may offer to take the old one away for a fee.

You can also probably find waste contractors on google who will take it, again for a fee.
£33 for the collection. Ideally don’t want to pay that much.

Also they don’t turn up, have had previous bad experiences with the council.

Chuck it out in the street. It becomes the councils problem then! ;)

Obviously, I’m joking before the No-humour brigade chip in!

Sponsored Links

I can think of places in this area where people from the big towns come out to plant their old mattresses. Presumably the townies think these mattresses will be of use to us simple country folk. Either that or they think that they'll be able to grow new mattresses that way.

The cost of removal and disposal is part of the cost of replacing anything in your house, be it a kitchen, a garage or mattress.

Tbf people do dump mattresses/bed bases in my area. The bin men end up taking it anyway

It's possible that someone might have a use for your old mattresses - offer them free for collection on freegle, Freecycle or Facebook...

Perhaps try to catch them and bung them a few quid to take it away?
They generally won't - I'm told it's because they can cause damage to the compactor mechanism on the bin wagons

It's possible that someone might have a use for your old mattresses...
It's funny you should mention that. There's a charity I came across a few years back who take furniture and recycle it. Stuff like upholstered chairs, mattresses, etc which can't be recycled they strip down for the component parts and recycle them - steel from the springs goes to a scrap merchant, cloth coverings and padding go to a shoddy merchant (for fibre recovery) whilst any timber gets burned in the boiler to heat the building. The labourforce is generally drawn from people who've been given community service orders, so that doesn't cost them anything, either

Sorted it out. Family member might be taking it which has helped me out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back