Max distance from front door to stairs (UK regs)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I live in an Edwardian property, and suspect the stairs were originally in the middle of the house - would like to put them back there - but this would mean the foot of the stairs being some 4m from the front door. What is the max distance allowed - and is there any way of getting around this?

Thanks,

Leigh

Sponsored Links
4m is not a problem. What is imperative is that the entrance door opens immediately into the stairwell. Any chance of a before and after sketch?

If the stairs can be somewhere else and they are 4m away then what would any regulation have to do with it?

Putting them 4m from the entrance door puts the bottom of the stairs closer to a fire exit.

I had a house where the stairs were 1.5m away from the front door, my current house (1855) has them in the middle - about 6m away from a door.

Hi - thanks for the responses. The plan in its entirety is a whole other can of worms of which this is a piece. The image you can hopefully see is a very rough outline, but the plan is to removing the middle supporting wall on both floors one and two - create a hallway downstairs and a small dressing room upstairs to one of the bedrooms via two additional walls, with the stairs moved way back underneath the stairs to the third floor with the hope they can be linked with one bannister.

In the front garden there are steps leading up to the middle of the house (possibly not original, and therefore perhaps decorative) but everything about the house suggests a very different layout to the one prior to its conversion into two flats. Now one dwelling - trying to restore to former glory without having it implode. Ideally View media item 69570

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back