Maximum demand calculator, anyone know of one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of such an item i.e. spread sheet or tool on the web?

If not, I am thinking of producing one on excel. I will post it for people to try and feedback would be great, to tweek it, then, perhaps it could go in the wiki!!

Sponsored Links
I don't know of any, other than in printed literature, so you may have a good idea. The trouble is, you have to take into account many variables which you won't get into a simple calculator, so it will probably be of most use in basic domestic premises only as a guide. It would be interesting to see what variables you decide are worth inserting on the spreadsheet, and how you develop the calculator as a response to electricians' and other users' feedback.

Yes, I agree, it has many variables and really it could only be used for domestic purposes, still worth a go, better than pen and paper, will work on it over the weekend if i get a chance!!!

Sponsored Links
Such a calculator would be of particular interest for new and refurbished commercial and industrial buildings.

They have to declare the capacity needed for the new connection to the electricity distribution network. Since 2005 DNOs are charging the full cost of the connection plus the cost of reinforcing their networks if that is necessary. Get the calculated MD too small, and the user has to pay for another connection that's bigger; get it too large and he has to pay too much.

Consultants have used spreadsheets that assume various appliances and attribute a diversity factor to each. I don't know of any that are freely available. The main difficulty and limiting factor is the diversity factors: the coding of the spreadsheet is trivial in comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back