Maybe if we just knock that wall down.

Sponsored Links
My "Maybe if we just knock this wall down" didn't turn out as well

163-Sumatra.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Benway,

Just popped over here after seeing the plans on your lighting thread. Have you made provision for a utility room in the house? I couldn't tell the room purposes from the plan. I see you've put the UFH down now so it might be a little late, but I would seriously consider it if not. When you create open-plan living spaces there is nothing worse than trying to relax and hearing nothing but the washer and dryer going all the time.

Top job. Can’t get over what a tidy worker you are. I’m doing mine tripping over tools and rubble all the time. Have the odd clear up but back to squalor in days. Given up tidying now.

Question, was the level you set the concrete floor in the new extension set lower than the floor height of the existing build to take into account for those layers of insulation? Or was that a decision taken due to the fitting of the underfloor heating?

I only ask because a family member got an extension completed recently which was a concrete floor and it was levelled to meet up with the existing timber floor with void beneath. So there is no room for any layers of floor insulation.

How does the insulation cope with heavy load when the flooring is down? Or is there something that the floor will sit on so that the insulation is not under any pressure?

Question, was the level you set the concrete floor in the new extension set lower than the floor height of the existing build to take into account for those layers of insulation? Or was that a decision taken due to the fitting of the underfloor heating?

I only ask because a family member got an extension completed recently which was a concrete floor and it was levelled to meet up with the existing timber floor with void beneath. So there is no room for any layers of floor insulation.

How does the insulation cope with heavy load when the flooring is down? Or is there something that the floor will sit on so that the insulation is not under any pressure?

You usually drop a screed floor over the insulation to bring you up to floor height especially if your using UFH.

If your family member had a concrete floor with no insulation its going to be a expensive room to heat!!! trust me I have half stone built house and half new build the stone side had a concrete flour with no insulation fitted in the 80s :(

Hi Benway,

Just popped over here after seeing the plans on your lighting thread. Have you made provision for a utility room in the house?.

There is an existing utility in the house, the the bottom left of the kitchen that we are keeping.

Top job. Can’t get over what a tidy worker you are. I’m doing mine tripping over tools and rubble all the time. Have the odd clear up but back to squalor in days. Given up tidying now.

It's messy, just well hidden! View could be better.....

upload_2018-3-2_16-9-34.png

As stated, the extension sub floor level was set with 100m insulation and 70mm screed in mind, 170mm in total. (It actually changed to 120mm insulation and 50mm flowing screed). The existing floor was 70mm screed that was removed and replaced with 20mm insulation and 50mm flowing screed. The insulation is designed to go under the screed, the loading actually isn't that great when you think of how much the weight is spread over.

ahh - interesting.... I just assumed that something heavy that sits on what is dense foam would be unstable and end up moving....

I am pretty sure that my family member had the concrete poured to make it level with the existing floor. But I was not there for the pour, so can't be sure.

Is screed just a super smooth concrete layer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back