mcAffee has expired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone
my mcAffee has expired and my finances are quite bad so i cant afford to pay for renewal.
my question is this -- is it safer to use mcAffee without the updates as my licence has expired or download a free firewall from the internet. can anyone recomend a free firewall that is reasonably good?.
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try the free firewall from zonealarm.

Google for zonealarm which should be on the zonelabs website but loads of hosting companies host it now.

Also. A free Anti Virus.. Try AVG from Grisoft

free.grisoft.com

These two are completely free but should see you through until you get back on your feet.

kofi2003uk said:
my mcAffee has expired and my finances are quite bad so i cant afford to pay for renewal.
This is a blessing in disguise. Be jubillant. Cherish the memory of this day. Celebrate your emancipation from the shackles of expensive and bloated anti-virus software.

my question is this -- is it safer to use mcAffee without the updates
Safe? Yes. Effective? No. Worth the bother? Only marginally more so than pummeling yourself in the crotch until you faint from the pain.

many thanks for the quick relies. i will be downloading zonealarm this evening.

Sponsored Links
FFS. ZoneAlarm. :rolleyes:

Before you go polluting your computer with yet more unnecessary lumps of software, can you tell us (a) what kind of Internet connection you have, (b) what hardware you use to connect to the Internet, and (c) whether you have more than one PC (or Mac, etc.) on your home network?

i have two computers and i use netgear ie skys braodband internet connection.

It's highly likely that you have an ADSL/router that includes a firewall.

Perhaps you could post the Netgear device model number and I (or anyone else) can confirm this.

Whilst there are features that such a router doesn't provide, such as an alert in the event of something rogue on your machine making an outgoing connection, it's a better firewall than ZoneAlarm, by far, so I would recommend not installing it (the latter).

Back