MCB 32A TRIPPING

Bet someone says you should not use a terminal driver to check for 'live' even if it was a nean indicator type. ;)

:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
**** !!! **** !!! ****!!!!

It's bloody gone again , New ****ing socket , Wires all in

The problem must be somewhere else

****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK IT !!!

Gonna have to call in someone

**** !

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am really sorry that the problem has re-occurred.

It is not rocket science and most people can make it work, the difficult bit is to make it work safely.

I am pleased that you are calling someone in, not because it in anyway vindicates my position on the matter, but because I want you to be safe.

Please do post what the person fixing it finds and be sure that they issue you with a cert for the job (my advice,; take it or leave it).

Hope you get it sorted with out costing you too much, look on the bright side - the further fault happened when you were awake and did not cause any major problems etc.

Thats all from me at the calling all trades advice line
:oops:

Martin

Oh well, you had a good crack at it. What you did wasn't rocket science, but as the problem now appears to be slightly more rocket sciencey than a loose wire, it's time to get a spark in to check it out.

Good luck.

PS. Leave that circuit isolated until it is fixed!

sorry to hear you're still having a bit of a nightmare. I agree with what Martinxxxxxxx said above, but would like to just say that depending on what is found and what is done about it, it may not necessarily warrant a certificate for the work.

Sorry guys , I had to have another look at it , As it was really beginning to bug me .

This time I looked a little deeper , I removed the socket again and looked at the twin and earth from the hole at the bottom of the box , As I pulled it up the live snapped off in my hand were it had become weakend by the short ? and I saw that the flex was chaffed and burnt (where the short had occured) this was a inch or so below the socket box so I wouldn't have seen it yesterday , Luckily I was able to pull about 6" of flex up thru the wall and saw the part that was damaged (will post a pic), I retrimmed the wires , Set the socket up again and the power has now been succesfully on the the last several hours .

Now just to be clear for anyone reading this , Posting this problem on this website and getting the answers really did help me and did give me some pointers as what to look for . If I had any doubt in my mind that I would have put myself in danger then i would not have investigated the problem not once not twice but three times , And eventually I believe I found the problem and I have fixed it , This does not give me any qualifications and it doesn't make me as clever as some of the people who gave me answers on here . I did make sure every circuit was dead (this time with a meter I borrowed)before I touched anything in fact the whole house was turned off . This was not about me trying to save a few quid it was about me finding a problem that was within my reach and dealing with it , It turned out for me to be a worn flex with an exposed LIVE shorting out . That had been in the wall for 10 years !!!

Once again and for the final time thank you for all of your help

And if your wondering ...Yes I have got a spark coming round tomorrow to show what I have done and just to confirm for me (spark is a friend of my neighbour)

Ha!

After you posted that it had gone wrong again, I was going to ask if you'd cut the cable back past any damage done by overheating, but when I checked this:

I undone the double socket in question and immediately noticed that one of the neutral wires had came out of the terminal on the socket , The earth wire from the back plate to the socket had also come away and indeed looked a little charred on the end . So this was the first visual things i noticed . I then checked the live with a terminal driver just to make sure . Disconnected the whole thing inspected the socket which looked fine no burning etc etc , And then wired it back up with a new earth

there was no mention of any overheating on anything except the flylead which you replaced.

So I didn't bother.

Ho hum.

Forgot to add , The earth wire I said previous was not from the socket , It was the piece of earth wire that was neighbour to this live piece , Which obviously broke when it shorted , Thats why it had the charred look about it , But I didn't put 2 + 2 together at that point

well done..

now, was this a metal backbox, and did it have a gromet installed where the cable came through?
was that the cause of the chafing or was it the tiny nick the installer put in with his stanley knife?

well done..

now, was this a metal backbox, and did it have a gromet installed where the cable came through?
was that the cause of the chafing or was it the tiny nick the installer put in with his stanley knife?

There was a rubber gromet in it , The damage was just below where the gromet was at , So it must have been a nick , What amazes me is it's been like that for 10 or so years , Maybe it was the christmas dinner condensation that seeped into the nick ,, which caused the trip in the first place , D'ya think ?

Sorry guys , I had to have another look at it , As it was really beginning to bug me .

This time I looked a little deeper , I removed the socket again and looked at the twin and earth from the hole at the bottom of the box , As I pulled it up the live snapped off in my hand were it had become weakend by the short ? and I saw that the flex was chaffed and burnt (where the short had occured) this was a inch or so below the socket box so I wouldn't have seen it yesterday , Luckily I was able to pull about 6" of flex up thru the wall and saw the part that was damaged (will post a pic), I retrimmed the wires , Set the socket up again and the power has now been succesfully on the the last several hours .

Now just to be clear for anyone reading this , Posting this problem on this website and getting the answers really did help me and did give me some pointers as what to look for . If I had any doubt in my mind that I would have put myself in danger then i would not have investigated the problem not once not twice but three times , And eventually I believe I found the problem and I have fixed it , This does not give me any qualifications and it doesn't make me as clever as some of the people who gave me answers on here . I did make sure every circuit was dead (this time with a meter I borrowed)before I touched anything in fact the whole house was turned off . This was not about me trying to save a few quid it was about me finding a problem that was within my reach and dealing with it , It turned out for me to be a worn flex with an exposed LIVE shorting out . That had been in the wall for 10 years !!!

Once again and for the final time thank you for all of your help

And if your wondering ...Yes I have got a spark coming round tomorrow to show what I have done and just to confirm for me (spark is a friend of my neighbour)

Chaffed wire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back