MCB 32A TRIPPING

OK, fair enough. I think what irked me was the 'just to be clear' bit, as I interpereted it as "if the bloke is dead who will get sued?".

Sorry if that was not the intended meaning.

Take the socket in question off and see if you can see anything untoward (with the power off of course!)

I can see why that might have irked you?

Sponsored Links
Martin,

I did not take umbridge at you advising the OP to test for dead. I'm not sure where you have got that idea from. As you mention, I always advise people to test for dead myself. Whilst I would like to think it is common sense to do so, we all know that common sense is not common, hence it's a good idea to advise as such.

I took umbridge with your comment of
What test was he going to do and who advised it.

Just to be clear.
as I read this as a litagous statement looking for someone to blame.

I also pointed out that I disagreed with your insinuation that it was neccessary to use a professional to take the socket off and have a look.

I know full well that electrical theory is complicated, but taking a socket of a wall is not. That's the point I was making with the 'rocket science' comment.

If he finds (as is likely) what you say, I would recommend that he
1) Buy a new socket
2) See how much undamaged cable is available; if it is sufficient to cut back and reterminate in to the new socket.
3) If not, I would then advise him to look at how far the nearest adjacent points on the RFC are from the damaged sockets, what method of cable installation has been used and how easy/difficult it would be to pull new cable from these points.
4) If he's not confident to do any of these, get a spark.

Hibbo";p="1452294 said:
Martin,

I don't think your advice is very wise. neither was the advice to take a look, without testing for dead first.

If he fits the new socket to the wires that he sees as not very damaged (perhaps) or rewires back to adjacent sockets. You do not suggest any testing before re energising the circuit. No IR, No Loop continuity, No R1+R2, No Zs. How is he going to be sure it is safe?

If he has the the equipment to perform the tests then fair enough, but do think they are necessary. Oh and where is this socket?

Martin.

And yes I believe we are legally responsible for the quality of advice we give.

OK, I give up.

I have tried to be amicable with you Martin, but you insist on being as smarmy and condescending as possible.

I appreciate you have a living to earn, and jobs like this are your bread and butter. The guy asked for practical DIY advice for what could be a simple problem.

Take it easy.

I hereby repeal all my advice to dt2008, and replace it with the following:
Evacuate your street, get a bank loan and hire the most expensive electrician you can find

Peace.[/i]

Sponsored Links
OK, I give up.

I have tried to be amicable with you Martin, but you insist on being as smarmy and condescending as possible.

I appreciate you have a living to earn, and jobs like this are your bread and butter. The guy asked for practical DIY advice for what could be a simple problem.

Take it easy.

Evacuate your street, get a bank loan and hire the most expensive electrician you can find

Peace.[/i]

spoilt child.
Do you normally take your ball home when you get it wrong and someone else points it out to you?

Why would you advise anyone to evacuate the street and find the most expensive wire monkey? What kind of advise is that? People come to this forum for help, the carp you come out with is not helpful.
If you can't say anything useful, say nothing.

OK, I give up.

Take it easy.

Peace.[/i]

I am not trying to be smarmy or condescending. All I want to point out is you should not assume everyone is as capable as you are when you give out advice. I am not looking to say everyone should call an electrician and nor are the majority of replies to post asking for help. Many times advice is given to help someone solve problems or to guide them. I think that where the OP freely admits to limited electrical knowledge people will tend to advise the path of least risk. Where some one sounds like they have the experience to get along with a problem, within advising them a legal way forward advice will usually be offered.

I do not pretend to be perfect or infallible, I offer only an opinion.

Sorry it bothers you so much.

Martin

Okay first up - Thank you ALL for your advice

UPDATE - In order of events

I turned off the main power and then I went round and tested sockets/lights on different circuits to test they were off

Then I undone the double socket in question and immediately noticed that one of the neutral wires had came out of the terminal on the socket , The earth wire from the back plate to the socket had also come away and indeed looked a little charred on the end . So this was the first visual things i noticed . I then checked the live with a terminal driver just to make sure . Disconnected the whole thing inspected the socket which looked fine no burning etc etc , And then wired it back up with a new earth , I don't know how or why the neutral wire / eart wire had come out , That socket has been on the wall for 10 years and never been removed , But I guess something had worked loose ...Somehow , But now it seems to be working fine .....................................So until the next time I need some help , I wish you all a very happy new year and a HUGE thank you

Thank you

Rick

I turned off the main power and then I went round and tested sockets/lights on different circuits to test they were off

Rick, out of interest, how did you test that the lights and sockets were off?

I had appliances on each one , If the appliance didn't come on I figured there was no power to it , I did this on every socket in the house , Every light switch all the outside (garage power) , And then finally with the terminal driver on the live of the socket when I removed it from the wall .

You're going to tell me I was very silly now aren't you ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back