Mcb buzzing when showers on !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the shower is used you can hear a buzzing from the c/u the mcb is big enough for the shower- 8.5kw on a 40 amp mcb, anyone got any suggestions pls.....

Sponsored Links
Loose connection of the mcb (either cables or busbar side)? Check connections are tight (SWITCH THE BOARD OFF FIRST!!!)

Cheapie breakers? What can I say...hard luck!

Faulty breaker (though not necesserily detrimentally faulty in service)? Could change the breaker but that may not be the problem, just make sure you can take the breaker back if it's not the problem.

Spark- talking of buzzing breakers is it usual for a lighting circuit ti buzz when it has a large dimmed load connected to it (region of 500watts)

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual for them to buzz; as breezer mentioned, dimmers can buzz and so can transformers whilst being dimmed (and to a lesser degree while they are not being dimmed).

I got rid of the dimmer in my kitchen (rated 500W, 400W load) as the buzzing drove me mad.

Problem now, of course, is that the bl00dy bulbs don't last nearly so long. I'd love to have a nice long chat round the back of the bike sheds with the guy that invented RO80s and recessed fittings....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back