MCB tripping coulds it be water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just got home from work to find a ring main mcb tripping 32amp I think. We have just had a massive rain storm,however I do not have any outside power. I have disconnected all appliances on the ring and not made any difference.

If water has got in the only place I could see is a low air brick that could have allowed water into the floor void and entered a JB.

Best advice at the mo appears to be leave it alone and see if it dry `s out,this does not feel like a good solution to me,any suggestions please :?:

Sponsored Links
Even if it is a JB under the floor where it can be flooded then it shouldn't be there.
Not put any pictures up recently? I had one a while back where a rail had been put up and nailed through the cable. Was OK for years before it went pop.
The best way forwards for you would be to have the circuit insulation resistance checked which probably means calling out an electrician.

Where you to garygttdi?

Had nothing but sun here in Croyde since midday!

Not a huge amount you can do unless you have an insulation tester, or have access to visually check the installation below floor level.

I would disagree, I would imagine if a fault is bad enough to trip a MCB a multimeter has a good chance of finding it.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the ring form the CU and all loads from the ring then use your multimeter to test for resistance between all compbinations of conductors. resistance should be in the megohms at least and preferablly off the scale.

assuming you find a short it is then simply a matter of using a divide and conquor approach to work out which section of the ring the fault is in.

Sponsored Links
Hi Lectrician,

Just outside Exeter all flooded all around go 3 miles each way and as dry as a chip,going to try and get an electricain in the morning to test the ring.

quote="Lectrician";p="917000"]Where you to garygttdi?

Had nothing but sun here in Croyde since midday!

Not a huge amount you can do unless you have an insulation tester, or have access to visually check the installation below floor level.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back