Tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My kitchen socket MCB keeps tripping, I have been round and unplugged everything but it still trips after a while, I cant see any pattern to it at all just seems to trip under any load. All the other MCB's are ok. Could this be an issue with the actual MCB?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Everybody blames the MCB, or whatever. It very rarely is the problem.
Can we confirm it actually is an MCB that is tripping, maybe its an RCBO, is there a test button on it?, what is the rating?. Post a pic if you not sure.

Hi,its the middle one. Sorry if my terminology is wrong

Attachments

• 20200902_195457.jpg
    20200902_195457.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 220
Well I would goto the middle of the kitchen.
Maybe to an in used socket.
Remove the socket and disconnect the wires. Separate red from red
And black from black.

Maybe put the wires into a terminal block or tape them as a minimum.

Turn off the main fuse box
Open it
Locate the 2 red wires going to that kitchen Mcb.

Dieconnect one red wire leaving one in.
Put the cover on and power up.

Does it still trip? If it does put the red wire back and remove the other red.

When you know which is the faulty cable open the fusebox and disconnect the matching black wire that goes into the sleeve with the red

Work our what kitchen sockets don’t work. The fault will be with them.
Turn the power off before opening these up for inspection.

You shouldn’t leave it like this.

Sponsored Links
Hi,its the middle one. Sorry if my terminology is wrong
Your terminolgy is fine, but some people sometimes get the various 'devices' confused - hence TTC's question.
My kitchen socket MCB keeps tripping, I have been round and unplugged everything but it still trips after a while, I cant see any pattern to it at all just seems to trip under any load. All the other MCB's are ok. Could this be an issue with the actual MCB?
That's a bit ambiguous. You say "I have been round and unplugged everything but it still trips after a while", but then say "...just seems to trip under any load". If you unplug everything you can, and leave them all unplugged, does it still 'trip after a while'?

Are there any things which are 'hard-wired', rather than plugged in?

Kind Regards, John

Hi, won’t come back on at all now, as soon as I flick the switch up the RCD on the right trips. Not changed anything since I posted

Update, found the issue. One of our double sockets was duff, the 2 Live wires were all charred, they was both secure in the fitting though. How does something like this happen please? The socket don’t move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back