MCBs etc, NSW Australia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Little confused still by all this. Things I see:
1) An MCB acts as a fuse
2) Issue of not only protecting the device (in my case Range hood) i.e. internal components (incl fine wires), but also the wires that are in the wall.
3) With an FCU recessed into the wall, you will have electrical cables running to and from this FCU unit prior to the wire and 240V plug which is attached to a 1 meter electrical cable out of the range hood.
4) Manufacturer states either FCU or plug with 3A Fuse. This is insane in that the plug travels through and is concealed via the Flue, so you would have to dismantle the flue to get to the fuse, let alone the next person who is unaware of this hidden fuse in plug.
5) I was thinking to put the FCU unit next to the consumer unit so I don't have to channel the brick wall to instal a FCU, but it seems that there is a question of safe guarding the wires in the wall?

I can see that the wires in the 1m power cable might be thinner and take less current, so that everything behind the fuse in plug safeguards all to * including the range hood, but what of the FCU which is beyond the fused plug, which is embedded in the wall.

I.e. if the FCU is beyond the fused plug and lets say at least 1m from this fused plug, which is embedded in the wall, why then cant' this go a further 1 meter to the consumer unit to a FCU there or an MCB or RCBO which is at the same position?

If this all does not make sense and is an issue, then I'm thinking to get a clipsal fuse and place it inside the Range hood (+sticker of fuse position external range hood), so I can take the filters off and get to the fuse and then run the electrical cable to the consumer unit (via ceiling) to a dedicated 10A RCD for range hood?

Sponsored Links
He is also confused about basic circuit design and protection principles, the relationship between FCUs and sockets, geography, and the realities of what he is legally allowed to do in NSW.

All in all, not a good combination of confusions for someone who thinks it's OK for him to design and install circuits.

Australia does not have fused plugs and I'm not sure that FCUs are available either. Confusing to say the least.

Also I believe you are not allowed to do your own installations in NSW.

Sponsored Links
Also I believe you are not allowed to do your own installations in NSW.
I don't know whether it's country-wide, but my understanding is that, in at least some parts of Australia, one isn't even allowed to connect a plug to a cable without going on some sort of 'course'.

Kind Regards, John

Back