mcbs for a clipsal insulated consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i am having a log cabin installed in my garden and need to have power to it.to try and save a few pounds i have been buying my own "bits" so the electrician can turn up and just charge me labour costs.
i have recently bought a 4 WAY CLIPSAL INSULATED CONSUMER UNIT WITH A 63AMP ISOLATOR / RCD BUILT IN (MODEL ECUR4A)).(brand new)
What i am having trouble with is finding clipsal mcb's to go with it.Does anyone know where to get them.if not,can i get other brand mcb's which would be compatable with this unit.
One more thing, whilst looking for mcb's online it states "type B" is this what i need for this unit.
can anyone help?
kind regards
jonkers

Sponsored Links
Have a look here

Ask your electrician what type of MCBs you require for your specific installation.

OOI, how much have your 'own bits' cost you so far?

Will your electrician be happy installing this brand?

Have a look here

Ask your electrician what type of MCBs you require for your specific installation.

OOI, how much have your 'own bits' cost you so far?

Will your electrician be happy installing this a more brand?

i have 2 switches,6 double sockets and the consumer unit.(tot £30).when you say "will he be happy installing this brand" are you saying CLIPSAL is not all that.If this is the case,i'll bin it and get a more recognised brand.
cheers,j

Ask your electrician - they each have their own favourities to install - personally I hate Clipsal stuff - give me MK/MEM/MerlinGerin/Hager any day.

Will your electrician provide any warranty on materials he hasnt supplied - many dont - are you happy with that?

Sponsored Links
thx for advice. i 'll give him a ring.clipsal unit only cost a tenner- best to cut my losses by the sound of it and ditch it!!.
(i'm on a bit of a budget thats all).
Being honest, do electricians make a profit on the hardware that they supply or do they only charge what they have paid for it?if this is the case i'll get him to supply a brand he is happy with.
thanks,j

When you bought your last caryou go out and buy the cheapest car you could possibly find, or did you spend a bit more money so you could have a better one?

HybridCar.jpg

or

slrSILVEROPEN.jpg

House - worth £100'sK and generally an appreciating asset and greatest and most important expense in a lifetime.

Car - super fast depreciating asset, costs about a grand to service over 3 years after which it's worth about 50% (or more) less. After 10 years pretty much worthless.

Yet people treat their most valuable asset to the cheapest fundamentals and blow their wad on depreciating consumables. Same people treat their cars with kids gloves, lavish the finest wax and softest leathers on them.

Cost of a top quality rewire with top quality parts - about 2% of the value of a house. Lasts about 40 years with a fraction of the TLC lavished on a car.

World's gone mad. :confused:

fitted a Clipsal insulated unit once before and it was utter sh*te ! The MCBs feel cheap and nasty and theres no room inside the unit to work with. well i suppose £40 for a loaded 10w split was too good to be true.

Cost of a top quality rewire with top quality parts - about 2% of the value of a house. Lasts about 40 years with a fraction of the TLC lavished on a car.
I would have expected a top quality rewire to last longer than that.

of course top quality rewires are incrediblly rare. How often do you see a house with RCD protection as close to the point of use as reasonable? How often do you see a house wired with MICC or a proper conduit system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back