MDF adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some shelves built and would like to put mdf on the front as shown in the video because I am adding little strip lights behind them. Rather than screwing them in, I would like to be able to use a really strong adhesive that’s fast drying as I don’t have clamps. Would this stuff work ok? It’s something I’ve never used before and was wondering if it would work for this? (I have 6 to fit) Thanks in advance. Here is the video and the stuff I’m looking at below it.

https://streamable.com/wgo13t

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonse...Vg7HtCh17LAmsEAQYASABEgKmivD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored Links
It produces a very brittle joint which can sometimes shear if struck or subjected to thermal creep, and don't lights, even LED lights, get hot? If (when) you need to repair/replace these lights it will possibly damage the surface as well. What is wrong with using screws? Or for that matter a double sided adhesive tape or even self-adhesive Velcro?

double sided tape/velcro for the front bit of the shelf? I’ll maybe just use screws then i just like the fact of having a finished face on the shelf without screwing bf holes and filling

what i do with multi angles that are not easy to clamp is d4 wood glue with an inch gap an inch from the start and finish and an inch gap every 9-13" [minimum 3 blobs on any joint]with a blob off superglue in the centre off the gaps and activator small spray on opposite board in same position
i have not found any negative interactions between activator superglue or d4 wood glue
this may work well in your case as you have a quick holding "pinning" glue and an industry accepted permanent glue

Sponsored Links
double sided tape/velcro for the front bit of the shelf? I’ll maybe just use screws then i just like the fact of having a finished face on the shelf without screwing bf holes and filling
For some reason I thought you were talking about the lights (it's been a gooood evening, so apologies for the confusion - it was the whisky, allegedly).

So are you talking about an ledging or lipping? If that is the case then the easiest solution is an pre-coated iron on edging tape, then trim it back flush. I have seen this offered on both eBay and Amazon from time to time. Screw anything into the edge of MDF and it will tend to split the MDF somewhere, whilst TBH MitreMate is just too expensive and won't always give a good bond into the edge of MDF (which can be very porous, meaning that it is sometimes necessary to glue both components, or prime the cut edges to get a good bond)

The link dont work.

Sound like you are talking about fitting a down stand on the front bottom edge to hide a lamp behind.

Any wood glue will do. If you don't have any clamps then the problem will be that you will always see the joint and it will look crap. Think about how you can put some weight on the two pieces while the glue sets - put the two under some furniture for instance.

If the piece is large you may need to use some dowels or screws too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back