1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Good reciprocating saw?

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by Keitai, 15 Apr 2019.

1. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  2. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just got the Makita 18 volt, very impressive but you would have difficulty cutting so near to ground unless you are very careful.

I cut branches off a cherry tree up to 3 inches or so thick, safer than a chain saw but quicker than a pruning saw.

No reason to think Dewalt wouldn't be a suitable brand, it makes sense to use the batteries.

Blup

3. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a Parkside 240v and it's excellent believe it or not!.

Taken thick branches off multiple trees, chopped roots up and was a godsend when sorting our fence out.

Still going strong!.

Had my Dewalt Lithium Ion drill probably 10 years as well and never missed a beat.

4. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. Don't buy an under-powered saw - they are far more likely to stall and kick back.
    2. Read the manual and learn how to use the tool correctly, i.e. with the correct length of blade for the job and the sole plate held firmly against the object being cut.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I guess cut three quarters of way with it then finish with hand saw

6. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When cutting branches it is safest to butt the sole plate up against the part being cut, but you can use the tip of a longer blade to snip off smaller branches and I guess that would apply to gravel board.

The blade will be ruined if it is contact with the ground and may cause the body of the machine to kick back.

Blup

7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No , you need room beyond timber to use recip saw , if it hits any obstruction the blade will bend .

• Like Like x 1
  8. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The gravel board should be removeable in which case a jig saw would do the job

blup

9. Sponsored Links
  10. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Vibrating Multitool would be better doind that gravel board in situ maybe?.

Take a bit longer than a reciprocating saw but less chance if blunting a blade or kickback?.

Think I could get that out with a recip bit it would probably blunt the blade end..

11. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What sort of things is it good for ? I've heard of branches and roots

12. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Muti tool would do that gravel board ok.

Reciprocating saw can to branches and roots with care. If you're anywhere near soil with it you'll need a few spare blades though!.

13. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any chance of cutting or injuring yourself with it? Any big no nos obviously like having fingers neat blade etc?

14. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The ordinary blades on a multitool saw probably won't break the skin, however the Japanese shark-tooth blades most certainly will. Like any tool that has a sharp blade the thing to do is read the manual and learn how to use it safely - that and keep the pink fleshy bits you have as far away as practicable when using it (so proper stance, proper grip, etc)

15. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most frightening thing I've used is the big hand held circular saw, need to be on your toes with that one!.

Reciprocating saw could be dangerous if you weren't paying attention, or kickback as mentioned before. Personally I've never felt concerned using it but treat it with respect.

The multi tool, vibrating saw would take a fair bit of work to take a limb off, think I'd struggle to take a finger off accidentally with the blades I've got (coarse wood blade would do it eventually).

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links