mdf - door - hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes:
Hi
Intending to use 18mm mdf board to form 3 no. 4' x 2' doors in the loft.

can anyone advise on what hinges should be used. i've sized up the doors

and these doors feel 'heavy'

The doors will be 'hinged' to 4 x 2 (inches) uprights

need to know hinge type screw type/length should i predrill and fit plasplug for fixing screws etc

regards

:oops:

email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Your best option would be concealed hinges often called Blum hinges. these are the type of hinges that are used on kitchen doors. You will need a 35mm bit for drilling the holes but it is much stronger than trying to fit a normal hinge into the side of MDF. Use 16x3.5 screws for fixing to the door and fixing the plate to the frame. They also have the advantage of some adjustment.

You can get them from DIY sheds, screwfix ETC. If the doors are going inside the frame then you will need "inset" ones which are a little harder to get but these people do them

https://www.isaaclord.co.uk/prodLis...&Nav1=Hinges&Nav2=Blum+Concealed+Modul+hinges

Sponsored Links
I agree that concealed hinges are the best way to go, but if you don't want to buy a hinge cutter you could buy cranked hinges which are very cheap and avoid having to screw into the edge of the door (not a good idea with mdf doors this size). However you would also then have to fit magnetic catches or similar to hold the doors closed.

:(
Hi to JasonB
having a problem locating 16 x 3.6 concealed hinge screws
I have located : Concealed hinge Screw 6 x 16mm

Did you mean these or do you mean 16mm long and 3.6mm thick screws to suit mdf board or should it be these non tapered chubby screws

Also the doors will fit inside the studs - I assume i purchase 3 110 0r 170 degree concealed inset hinges per door

please advise
regards
:oops:

You don't need to use concealed hinge screws, ordinary pozidrive screws will do. You can get 16mm x 3.5mm from screwfix (www.screwfix.com) but I would have thought a hardware shop would be able to sort you out.
If it's an old fashioned shop ask for 5/8 inch size sevens, but don't use slotted head as they are a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back