MDF: How dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered before. In recent years there was a lot of talk on the dangers of MDF because of the formyldihide?? used in its manufacture.

When working this stuff, how dangerous really is it??

ie With proper extraction is it fine?

When sanding, jigsawing, routing with no extraction in a home enviroment should users be concerned even with the slightest bit of dust?

Is breathing in this materials dust a complete no no??

Sponsored Links
i found this for you

Disadvantages: -MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde

Ta Breezer. It is suggested elsewhere (something to do with HSE) that MDF dust is no more dangerous than soft or hardwood dust although, as you say, the glue particles will irritate eyes and nose etc. Further, the HSE report mentions that there is no direct proof that it is cancer causing. I'm surprised by this, I was always led to believe that MDF was the "most dangerous woodworking material under the sun". Seems not so.

In the above quote there are a few maybes and a "very dangerous". How dangerous is very dangerous I'm wondering and in what context????

Just interested in any personal views really.

the dust is extremly fine so you can hold your breath whilst routering planing sanding ect but as soon as you finnish the dust is still suspended in the air you breath for min or two also the fine particles are easily disturbed
suffers badly when wet ,delaminates easily

now some hardwoods are more dangerous[directly poisonus]forget the ones concerned

the plus side it cuts so crisply with any chisel plane router or any other cutting edge

there are many other good and bad points about mdf :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was wondering about this when I shoved my boy up the chimney earlier today. He was complaining about the soot, but I told him it would be ok.

I have cut many difference type of wood and the MDF do seems to be more dusty than other materials and I do believe it's still banned in the USA because of the fine dusts. I never cut MDF indoors, only outside with nose mask as well.

"the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge."

They don't mean this, do they? Surely it's ;

"the screws should not be within 25mm of the edge."

Regards, Graham

Urea formaldehyde resin is not particularly nasty - the problem with mdf is mainly the amount of dust it can make.Recently cut some 8' x 4' sheets with the circular saw,and dust EVERYWHERE!
Would never cut the stuff in the house.

So who was the bright spark who originally thought MDF was a good idea .....?

Regards, Graham

They has big problem dumping the dusts so they recycle it to make mdf sheets which is cost effective. The problem with mdf, they're heavy!

See this

I hate the stuff with a vengence, along with PVCu, Vinyl and laminate flooring.

Why can't people use real wood any more? Or is it that making something from real wood takes skill?

Unfortunately,like most things,it's down to price.
I much prefer using real wood - but mdf is cheaper,easy to shape and doesn't warp the same as real wood.

The real thing is without doubt better looking,and more pleasureable to work with - otherwise,they wouldn't spend so much time making plywood and chipboard look like proper wood:cool:

Ahhh ! I didn't know you can get mdf in 10'x5' sheet. I has to join 2 sheets together for my wife curtain making table. :cry: 50mm thickness, 25mm thickness was bad enough to lift :!:

masona said:
Ahhh ! I didn't know you can get mdf in 10'x5' sheet. I has to join 2 sheets together for my wife curtain making table. :cry: 50mm thickness, 25mm thickness was bad enough to lift :!:

Twas a special order I think!

I cant quite remember what it was for though? I remember it was to make large sweeeping semi circular formers... but formers for what I can't remember! Annoying :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back