UK MDF 20mm supplier, and other help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build up a Hifi Flexi Rack.

B&Q only offer 18mm MDF. Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK for 20mm MDF? Also it would be good if they could cut out (600mmx500mm) shelves, route the edges & drill the holes.

I also need 3 x 2M, M20 threaded rods - I've only found M10 1M threaded rods. Does anyone know of a supplier?

Other stuff I can quite easily get hold of from a local shop are- M20 washers, Acorn Nuts, nuts, rubber washers etc.

I take it to prep MDF you need to degrease it (how do you do this?) sand all sides, wipe dust off, undercoat then paint?

Basically I want it to look like this, just a bit higher..

http://home.adelphia.net/~dbcraw/rack/

I might cover the threaded rods with black piping (or maybe leave bare)

UK based.

Thanks
Nathan

Sponsored Links
what is wrong with 18mm mdf? your units don't weigh that much do they?

As for getting it routed i doubt if a wood yard will do that for you, if they do it will not be cheap since you are taking up some ones time.

you may want to look in your local yellow pages under fastening supplies for the treaded steel bar, it is also known as "studding" and "stud rod"

I've got 10 hifi units, total weight (excluding the rack itself) will be around 90Kg, say 10Kg per item.

Well to buy a Apollo Soprano (pre-made steel/glass rack) to the size as the Flexi rack is about £850, so I don't mind paying the guy (I don't have a workshop nor the tools required)

Thanks for your help.

18mm MDF should be okay,if you think about it the weight of the units will be on 4 loading point mounting near the stud bolts and the weight will not be pushing on the centre of the MDF boards.It would be cheaper to hire a router for the day if you're prepare to have a go,if you do please do it outside with mask & google as it produce plenty fine dusts.

Sponsored Links
Hi , I have found that my local Sainsbury's Homebase supplies various thicknesses of mdf and also they will cut and deliver

dragonresearch welcome to the forums, nice of you to reply, but post was origonaly made in 2003, think they may have got it sorted by now

heeelllooo m o c t

why dont you tell us what its for and give us a chance
to come up with an alternative solution

big all

MDF comes in standard thicknesses and 20mm isn't among them.
You'd have to laminate 12mm & 8mm together to produce 20mm
I had heck of a job trying to find some 1" plywood as it's only made in metric sizes now and 25mm was too thin.
I was lucky because my timber supplier had a small piece of 1" lying about in the back which he let me have for £1 and it was enough for what I needed it for to last a lifetime.

Ply does vary a bit so you may find a sheet of 25mm will come out at 1", take your old micrometer or vernier calipers with you.

J

Well new and just looking and have seen a few references to 20 mm MDF and on another Diy/ home improvement site saw a spec for using 10 mm and 20 mm MDF. Well in my 17 years I have never used or been offered 10 mm or 20mm MDF. All sheet sizes are Imperial to metric conversions, USA being the largest market force for materials. Standard MDF sheet sizes and thicknesses are as follows 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 18mm and 25mm. For most sheets thicknesses the standard sizes are 2440 x 1220 mm (8x4') and 3050 x 1520 mm (10x5') and 3050 x 1220 mm (10x 4') the exception to this is often 4 mm which is often supplied as 2740 x 1220 mm (9x4') and is normally class 1 MDF. Class 1 MDF is a fire retardant rating for building materials.

nice of you to reply, but why search for a post that was started over 4 Years ago

not to mention I pointed this out to some one 3 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back